Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Fallout

Yesterday, as we sat in the court room listening to the judge give his ruling regarding Addie's readoption, I was reminded of all that has taken place in order to bring us to this point.  As her birth father's name was mentioned along with the words "abandoned" and "unfit to parent," my heart just ached.  It was much the same as with Sena's readoption hearing.  I know that it is standard wording in a proceeding such as this, but it just seems so harsh.  John told me last night that he was bothered by it, too.  The truth is that because of circumstances beyond his control, Addie's birth father was not able to raise her.  He tried until it became clear that she was not thriving and he made the agonizing decision to make an adoption plan for her.  He had to jump through numerous hoops in order to see that plan through and he did those things out of love for his baby girl.  I have so much respect for him and he will always hold a very special place in our hearts.  Last January we were given the opportunity to meet him and to express our gratitude for entrusting his daughter to us.  He was there when we met Addie for the first time.  That was a big day full of so many emotions and I'm not sure I've fully processed it all these months later.

 
It is easy enough for us to busy ourselves with raising our family, but I often wonder how he is doing.  What does his life look like now?  Life has not been easy for him and, like so many others, his very existence is a day to day struggle.  I knew when we went into the adoption process the first time that we would never be the same.  I didn't realize, though, the depth of the change that would take place in my heart.  Many of the things that used to matter to me simply don't anymore.  It is impossible to look into the faces of those living in extreme poverty and be touched by it so personally and walk away unchanged. I believe that is why so many adoptive families return home and feel compelled to do something to make a difference for the vulnerable population in their child's birth country.  There are so many needs in this world, but if we each do what we can - one by one - it will have an incredible impact.
 
We set out to make a difference in the life of one child who needed a family. And then we did it again.  In truth, they are the ones who have made a difference in our lives.  We have been richly blessed by these little sweeties: 
 
Addie in November 2011 and December 2012

Sena in December 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012
 

No comments:

Post a Comment