We experienced another "first" with Sena - our family of 6 spent some time huddled in a closet this evening after the tornado sirens sounded. Welcome to springtime in central Illinois! We don't have a basement, so the closet under the stairs is our safe place to go. I was making brownies when the siren went off. I'm going to pause right here and share with you an amazing, yet simple recipe that a friend shared with me many years ago:
Old Fashioned Brownies:
1 c. butter or margarine
2 c. sugar
4 T. cocoa
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
Melt margarine and stir in sugar, cocoa, eggs, and vanilla. Add flour. Mix well and pour into greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-22 minutes. They will look undercooked. They're not. There is no salt or soda called for either, just in case you were wondering. Weird, I know.
While brownies are in the oven, make the frosting:
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/3 c. milk
1/4 c. cocoa
4 c. powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla
Bring butter, milk, and cocoa to boil on stovetop. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Frost brownies while they are warm. If you are like me, you will want to eat one while they are warm, too. You will need a glass of milk to go with it. You won't regret it!
As I was saying, the sirens went off while I was making these brownies. I was cooking the frosting and got distracted by my search for a flashlight and blankets. By the time I remembered the frosting, it smelled a bit scorched. Stink. As the sky began to grow darker, I figured it was time for me to join the rest of the crew in the closet. Sena was oblivious to what was going on outside and was perfectly content to crawl over the rest of us as we waited it out. Finally, after the warning expired, we emerged from the closet. Good times. The end.
Mary
6 months ago

LOL!!!!! Only those of us who live in this region can understand how humorous this is!
ReplyDeleteBTW: Don't laugh but I had NO IDEA you could make brownies from scratch. I have ALWAYS had them from a box!
You laughed didn't you???
ReplyDeleteYum. :)
ReplyDeleteHa! I totally laughed. You must try these brownies - see how easy they are??
ReplyDeleteso glad you're safe! :)
ReplyDeleteI am trying those brownies! Sounds kind of scarey and cozy all at the same time:)
ReplyDeleteHave you ever made chocolate chip brownies with nestle's chocolate, some melted, some mixed in? It's my favorite brownie recipe straight off that yellow bag, and I'm not likely to deviate...unless I try yours in person. Next batch, maybe?
ReplyDeleteGlad you are all safe! Tornado season?!!