Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A day we will never forget

October 25, 2010, was, quite simply, one of the most amazing days of our lives. 
We awoke to a bright and beautiful Ethiopia morning. Neither John nor I slept much the night before, but there is nothing quite like waking up to the sights and sounds of Addis Ababa. The anticipation of what this day held in store was huge. We got ready and then ate a light breakfast so that we could be ready for an early departure to Adama. We settled into the van for the two hour ride. The countryside was beautiful.




We had been advised that it is best not to pay attention to the driving and what is going on up front (thanks Lyndi!), but rather to watch out the side windows.  That was really good advice!  As we pulled into the city, my heart started to race.  I could not believe that in just a short while, we would meet our girl.  After what seemed an eternity, we pulled up to the gate of the Widows and Orphans Home.  The gate was opened and we drove in.  We climbed out of the van and were soon directed to a little room off the courtyard.  Soon, Joy came in holding the most precious baby girl I had ever laid eyes on.  My heart soared as I looked at her in person for the first time.  We didn't want to scare her, so we just talked to her while Joy held her for a bit.  Finally, Abebe said, "Just take her!" and I happily lifted that little bundle into my arms and I fell deeper in love than I already was. Words cannot even do justice to the joy that filled this mama's heart to finally have my baby in my arms. 





It was many months in the making and our meeting with her was exactly what I had hoped it would be.  I had prayed that there would be a sense of familiarity when we met her.  God answered that prayer. Sena was exactly who I was expecting and I felt as if I knew her already.  She, on the other hand, wasn't quite there yet and that was ok.  I had been her mama in my heart for months and I was hopeful that I would be her mama legally very soon.  Though she was not born from my body, Sena could not be any more my daughter.  Some people may never understand how that can happen, but that doesn't really matter.  It is ok that they look at our family and scratch their heads.  We know what we have going on over here and we're good with it.  As I rock my daughter each night before bed and feel her snuggled up close to me, I marvel at the miracle that she is.  Though I wish the circumstances of her birth could have been different, I am thankful that God has chosen us to be her family. 





1 comment: