It seems that time passes more quickly with each passing year (unless you are in the middle of an adoption and then it passes V E R Y
S L O W L Y.) Somehow, it has been an entire year since Miss Addie came into our home and captured our hearts. I remember feeling off kilter in those first weeks as we adjusted to our new normal while grieving the loss of our beloved Papa. It wasn't long, though, before we found our groove and figured out how to make things work as a family of seven. That certainly doesn't mean things are perfect around here, but we take each day as it comes. Some days are wonderful and some days are not so wonderful. Such is life with kids!
As we were considering adding to our family again in the summer of 2011, I remember facing the same fear of the unknown as I did when we were in process for Sena. And yet our hearts were drawn to adopt again. We knew there was another little one in Ethiopia that God had in mind for our family, but we had no idea that things would move as quickly as they did or that the little girl who would join our crew would bring so much joy along with her.
I will be honest and say that at first I was reluctant to move forward with a second adoption. While things were not "easy" around here, I knew that having one little person with constant needs would be easier than having two little people with constant needs. Fear and selfishness wreaked havoc on my mind for a period of time and yet that familiar nudging just.would.not.go.away. I sometimes think that God turned on the fast forward button for our process because He knew I was weak. I'm pretty sure He also knew that, for me, five kids would be a challenge and so He sent us one who, though BUSY as the day is long, is not particularly strong-willed. There are many things that I am capable of dealing with, but a strong willed toddler is not my specialty. A couple of our boys fall into that category and there were times when I thought I might not survive their early years.
When we traveled to meet our girl in January 2012, I was surprised by how engaging she was. She sought out eye contact and was very interested in interacting with us. It was the exact opposite of our experience with Sena. Though Addie did cry briefly the first time we held her, it did not take long before she seemed to recognize us and welcome our visits. She definitely showed a preference for her Daddy, too. Normally, that would probably make me sad, but in this case, it was a gigantic blessing. We knew it was likely that only one of us would travel to bring her home from Ethiopia and because I really need to be supervised while flying (sad, but true), Daddy was the obvious choice. Before we left on our court trip, we even talked about a plan B if she was one of those kids who was afraid of men. As it turns out, this girl loves the fellas - a very good thing in a family with several of them!
I underestimated how difficult it would be for me to stay behind while John made the trip to Ethiopia alone. The days passed quickly, though, and before I knew it, I was tracking their flight from Ethiopia. Every time I saw that plane getting closer and closer to home, the anticipation in my heart grew. Their plane had taken off about two hours late from Ethiopia and I was worried that they would not make their connection in D.C. Thankfully, they made it through immigration and arrived at their gate with a little time to spare. As we headed to O'Hare to meet them that afternoon, my emotions were all over the place. When I finally saw them come through the same double doors that John and Sena came through just 14 months before, relief flooded my heart. Addie was HOME and our family was finally in one place.
Sena did not quite know what to make of this new development. She was acting strange and shy and was rolling around on the floor of the airport. Part of her issue was that she had missed her Daddy and didn't quite know what to do now that he was home. The other part of it was the little girl strapped into the Ergo. She had no idea then that the same little girl would soon become her best friend and playmate!
Though I had planned to give Addie some time to warm up after she arrived, that idea quickly went by the wayside and I immediately took her into my arms. Oh.my.heart. It is an amazing feeling to hold your child in your arms again after being separated for many weeks. She seemed so small and vulnerable and I could not get enough of her! We introduced her to her brothers and sister and Grandma and Uncle Bernie and then we began the trek to the parking garage. Though I wanted to head straight home because I was anxious to get her home and settled, John suggested we make a stop at his parents' house so his Dad could meet her. I am SO glad we did that. We had no idea then that it would be the only time Addie would ever see her Papa this side of Heaven. It grieves my heart that she will never have the chance to know him.
Addie settled in fairly easily once we were home. It took a little time for her to figure out the whole sleeping thing - that was our big challenge in our first days together. Another challenge was helping Sena figure out her new role as big sister. I remember trying to take pictures of the two girls together early on and Sena was not interested in getting too close to Addie. My, how things have changed! Now Sena will ask Addie if she wants to sit in her lap, they snuggle close together while watching TV or reading books, and if Addie is put down for a nap without a kiss from Sena, we hear about it! They may not share the same DNA, but these girls are SISTERS in every sense of the word. I am beyond grateful that they have each other.
Addie quickly won her brothers over, too. She exudes joy and it is contagious. When the boys come home from school, she yells their names as if it has been a long time since she last saw them. She is lavish with her kisses and hugs, too, and she gives real hugs that come complete with back pats/rubs. The kissing, on the other hand, sometimes contains a surprise. Just when you think you are about to get a peck on the cheek, she might lick you instead. Weird, but true. Only Addie.
As we celebrate Addie's family day, I am thanking God for the blessing of this little girl.
Isaiah 55:8 My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far
beyond anything you could imagine."
Addie's Story - one year HOME
Mary
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment