One of our primary challenges is the whole teenager/toddler dynamic that we have going on. That is not for the faint of heart and I readily admit that I underestimated how difficult it would be to navigate those two challenging ages simultaneously. Holy cow. Holy cow. Holy cow.
Such precious cherubs. Those sweet smiles hide the fact that certain ones have been giving us a run for our money.
Another challenge has been Sena's thumb. Her thumb, you ask? Her thumb! It was our best friend when she first came home. It was her built in comfort and whenever she would feel upset or overwhelmed, she would pop that baby in and she was good to go. Instant calm. Instant snuggles. I knew early on that this wonderful feature would one day come back to bite us and we are now considering ourselves bitten. Badly. We might need stitches.
How cute is she with that little thumb?
Cute, but slightly angry
Still cute
Her first day in our custody.
She definitely needed it on this day!
Sweet baby
Addie is following in her big sister's footsteps. Briefly.
The zone out
Zone out, part 2
Additionally, we had a cranky pants on our hands. The first couple of weeks were brutal. However, as time has gone on, she has settled down. She is still having some sleeping issues, but her daytime behavior is so much better. As an added bonus, her teeth and bite are already starting to look better! If we could get the sleep thing figured out, we would be in business. Some nights are better than others. Part of the issue is that she is probably ready to give up her nap. Her nighttime waking, however, means that she is tired in the daytime and most days she wants to sleep. We have tried a variety of things to try to help her sleep: Melatonin and Benadryl (per doctor recommendation), letting her sleep in our bed (no one slept at ALL), and our most recent endeavor is having her sleep in Addie's room. The jury is still out on that one, but it looks promising.
As if those things do not provide enough excitement, we have been working on potty training with Addie. For weeks. And weeks. And weeks. After five kids, I am SO over diapers. Addie is a smart little cookie and is completely aware of what is happening in her body. Sometimes, she will flash a smile and announce, "I pooping my pants!'' Other times, she will totally go on the potty. Just in the last week, I feel we have turned a corner and she is starting to tell us before she needs to go. I cannot express how excited I will be when we can be done with pullups (which, let's be honest, are really just glorified diapers. Glorified = more expensive.)
I am hoping that things will continue to settle down around here and that sleeping all night will once again become the norm. I freely admit that I am a big baby and I NEEEEEED my sleep. When mama doesn't sleep, it is not pretty. It just isn't. The boys have stepped up to give John and I some breaks recently and that has been wonderful. Sena and I are connecting on a new level and that is also a good thing. We have spent a lot of time just talking about things and I am seeing yet another benefit to having daughters!
James 1:2-4 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.






No comments:
Post a Comment