Tuesday, June 11, 2013

All because of a simple Facebook message...

On January 17, one of my fellow YWAM adoptive mamas left this message on my Facebook wall: "Are you guys all geared up for the world premier of Dora Rocks Monday night? I sure wish we lived close. We'd have to have a viewing party." 

My response to Millie: "How could I not have known about this? I am putting it on the calendar!! We are also gearing up for Dorla birthday party number 2 - Addie is just as big a fan as her big sister. They crack me up when they speak Spanish to each other. We must get together one of these days. Maybe Tennessee? Then our North Carolina friends can come, too! How far are you from Nashville? That is a pretty easy drive from here."

The Facebook thread blew up with other YWAM mamas saying they wanted to come and in less than half an hour, a reunion was born! 

On May 31, twelve families who have adopted children from the YWAM orphanages in Ethiopia, along with Joy and Becky from YWAM gathered in Franklin, Tennessee.  Many of us had never met in person!  We have communicated via emails, Facebook, and phone calls, but this was the first time we were finally able to hug each other and talk face to face.  I cannot even begin to describe how thankful I am for the support that these ladies have been to me as we have journeyed to our girls.  There is a camraderie that just IS when you share the same heart. 

For four months, we plotted and planned and everything came together quite nicely for our weekend together. 

Friday evening, we met for dinner and then most of the families headed to the pool at the hotel.  After our kiddos were tucked in bed, several moms met in the lobby.  Normally, I am an early to bed, early to rise kind of girl, so my husband was surprised when I didn't return to our room until 11pm.  It was so much fun just to be together!

Millie, me, Lisa, Jessi, and Sara


On Saturday morning, the moms headed to Merridee's Breadbasket for coffee and fellowship.  As I looked around the table at the faces of these amazing ladies, it just seemed so surreal that we were actually all together in the same place.  We had traveled from Washington, Oregon, California, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, and Indiana just to spend some time face to face.  It was SO worth it.  Seeing our children - some of whom have strong connections from their orphanage days - play together was priceless! 



On Saturday afternoon, we all headed to a park in Franklin for a picnic.  The weather was great when we got there, but around 3:30pm, the sky turned dark and ominous.  We decided to move our picnic to the Marriot and shortly afterward, it rained.  And poured.  And we had a blast in spite of the rain! 

With Joy and Becky from YWAM and Monica Barlow.  Though I have spent time with Joy in Ethiopia on two of our trips, this was my first chance to finally meet Becky. Becky is the one I would call when the adoption process was getting the best of me and I needed someone to pray for me. Even though both of our girls are home, we have continued to stay in touch. I will always have a special place in my heart for YWAM and the people who make it such an amazing organization.

Addie snuggling with Miss Joy

Indoor picnic

Love this group!!

On Sunday, we attended church in the morning and then went to the Old Spaghetti Factory in Nashville for lunch.  I think we were all sad to say goodbye to each other, though, and a reunion for next year is already in the works! 


Lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory
 
Cuties!
 
Another highlight of the weekend for me was meeting Monica Barlow.  Monica was a missionary to Gimbi, Ethiopia who knew our girls when they were tiny.  Sena lived with Monica and her family for the first weeks of her life and Monica got to see firsthand the results of the love and prayer that she poured into our girl.  Sena takes a while to warm up to new people and I was sad that she was stingy with her affection.  On our last day together, though, she walked over to Monica and gave her a hug completely on her own and that made my heart so happy!  She doesn't yet understand the role that Monica played in her story, but one day she will and I am so happy to have this connection for her.
 
Monica and the girls on Friday night
 
Monica with Sena
 
Addie showing some love

 I am so grateful for the opportunity to spend time with such a wonderful group of people and I am already looking forward to next year!!






1 comment: