Sunday, November 25, 2012

Homemade Pretzels - you are going to want to try these!

I was perusing my giant binder of recipes today and came across one that I printed off on March 2, 2002.  It only took me ten and a half years, but I finally made it today.  I highly recommend it!

Soft Pretzels
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 pkg. yeast
2 T. brown sugar
1 1/8 t. salt
4 c. flour

2 c. warm water
2 T. baking soda
Coarse salt
Cinnamon
Sugar
3 T. melted butter

Sprinkle yeast on warm water in mixing bowl.  Stir to dissolve.  Add brown sugar and salt.  Stir to dissolve.  Add flour.  Mix until smooth (I did this in my stand mixer and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes after the flour was incorporated in lieu of kneading the dough.)  Place in greased glass or metal bowl, cover with a clean dish towel, and let rise in warm place for approximately 30 minutes (my oven was still warm from dinner, so I placed the bowl in there.)

While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 c. warm water and 2 T. baking soda in pie plate.  Stir a few times while waiting for the dough to do its thing.

After the dough has risen, pinch off pieces and roll each into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick) and shape.  You can watch a video here that will show you the technique:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpOfYie-JeU

Dip each pretzel in the soda solution and place on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.  Allow pretzels to rise again for 20 minutes or so.  Bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Immediately brush with melted butter and sprinkle with salt or a cinnamon/sugar mixture.  If you really want to get crazy, dip both sides in butter and then dip in a pan of cinnamon/sugar.

Cinnamon Sugar

Coarsely salted

Two happy taste testers


No comments:

Post a Comment