Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Weekend at Edith's

On Friday morning, my sister came to pick me up and we drove to the airport to begin our wild and crazy weekend at Grandma's.  I may have panicked a tiny bit when we actually arrived at the airport and so I took my plane medication before we even got out of the van.  We made it through security and to our gate and by then I was feeling mighty fine.  An hour later, when it was time to actually step onto the plane, my heart began to race.  Uh-oh.  This was not good.  We found our seats and I promptly announced to the flight attendants and people seated nearby that I am NOT A GOOD FLYER. 

As it turns out, the lady behind me isn't either and she had just taken her plane medication, too.  It happened to be the same as mine - the one that I had taken over an hour before.  She suggested that I might want to take another one because it tends to wear off quickly.  Super.  Super dee duper.  Of course, I had no water and the aisle was blocked with passengers, but there was no time to lose.  The plane would soon be departing and I was about to flip out.  I worked up enough saliva to choke down the pill and prayed it would take effect quickly.  And take effect it did.  Only not quite how I was hoping. 

I am afraid that my sister may have been a tiny bit alarmed at my behavior.  As the plane began to pull away from the gate, I was a little happy.  I was singing.  And laughing.  And crying.  Simultaneously.  I had read on a fear of flying website that you should envision yourself riding on a bus instead of a plane and it would help.  So I began to sing about riding on a bus.  I was laughing and snorting and pretty much just loco.   My sister thought I really believed that I was on a bus and, honestly, at the time, I might have thought that, too.  As soon as those engines revved (and we were seated almost at the very back of the plane and they were LOUD), the singing immediately ceased and I went into my usual freak out mode.  There is something about the whole barreling down the runway that I just am not okay with and I'm pretty sure I never will be.  Once we have reached cruising altitude, I am fine, but the process of getting there is painful for me and anyone near me.  I squeeze knees, fan myself, pray, hide my face, hold the hand of whomever I am traveling with, ask a hundred tmes if we are ok or if we are going down, and all other manner of weirdness.  I promise that under normal circumstances I am not a freak show, but on a plane, I am out of my mind.  When that plane finally touched the ground on Friday, I cannot tell you the relief I felt.  I am sad to report that the return flight was not much better in spite of the fact that I took my medication closer to the actual takeoff.  I really think there is no hope for me and that perhaps I should just avoid air travel altogether.

We were met at the airport by my very sweet aunt who drove us to Grandma's house.  I have not been to Arizona since 1998 (the year I swore off of air travel until the little trip we made to Ethiopia in 2010, and then another in 2011, and then another in 2012.  You would think that after THREE trips to Africa, I would be fine.  Think again.)  It has been three years since I last saw my Grandma and I was so happy to see her again. She has had a number of health issues in that time, but she is doing amazingly well for a 94 year old!  She is a little thinner, she walks a little slower, but she is just as quick witted as she has ever been.  Grandma is a hoot. 

We had the opportunity to meet some of her friends in her retirement village and they all spoke very highly of my Grandma.  She has been the piano player at their chapel for many years and she is a celebrity around there.  Several people came up and told me what a wonderful lady she is.  She has always been willing to lend a hand and help others out and now she has been on the receiving end of that in recent months.


On Saturday, we went for a little drive.  This is about 15 minutes from where Grandma lives.  It is just beautiful!

As we got into the car, I commented on the beautiful weather.  Grandma sighed and said, "A sunny day.  Just like every other day."  I could totally get used to sunny days every day.



Look!  A giant cactus.  I may have a stood a bit too close, but you would never know from the fake smile plastered on my face!

Grandma Edith and me.  Do you like my cane?

With my sister, Andrea

I made a few pies while we were there.  There is never a day off for a pie baker.  The two in the back are apple.  When I am at the bakery or at home, I always use a corer/peeler/slicer for my apples.  Grandma sold hers in a garage sale once upon a time, so I was going to have to peel a lot of apples by hand.  I just happened to meet up with a fellow YWAM mama for dinner on Saturday night and as I was getting out of her van, I noticed she just happened to have a corer/peeler/slicer.  She had borrowed it from a friend and hadn't returned it yet.  Woo hoo!  She was kind enough to let me borrow it, too.  True story!   

Me with Grandma and lots of cousins
 
Me with my fellow YWAM mama, Jeanette.  We have talked on the phone and emailed since we were in process for Sena, so it was awesome to be able to meet her in person!  When we arrived back at Grandma's from dinner, we were surprised to find the SWAT truck parked across the street.  When we went to investigate, we discovered it was part of the "Block Watch" festivities.  Every six months, the residents get together to eat and talk about keeping the neighborhood safe.  As soon as the SWAT truck left, a fire truck pulled up.  Good times in the retirement village!  I'm pretty sure I want to live there someday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment