Saturday, March 23, 2013

Compassion

This morning I read this and it has weighed heavily on my heart all day.  Dictionary.com defines compassion as a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.  It is one thing to feel sad about the suffering of others, but it is an entirely different thing to actually do something to help.  Feeling sad is easy.  Sacrificing some of our resources so that others might have food to eat or shelter over their heads is not always so easy.  I'm pretty sure we have all been guilty of holding on a little too tightly to our material possessions at one time or another.  I know I have.  After all, we have five children to take care of and a fairly modest income.  Our modest income, though, places us among the most wealthy people in the world.  We earn more money than 99 percent of people in this world. 99 PERCENT!! Because of that, we believe it is also our responsibility to help where we can.    

After I read about Tadelech this morning, I knew we needed to do something.  We are not able to sponsor another family right now, but we are able to give to YWAM's emergency fund to help where the need is greatest.  It took me approximately one minute to make a donation via this link.  I am so grateful for the work that YWAM is doing to reach the marginalized people of Ethiopia and for the opportunity to partner with them to make a difference in the lives of those whose needs are every bit as important as yours or mine. 

There have been so many times in my life where I have felt that little nudge to give.  While I want to say that I have given every single time, I know that is not the case.  Most of the time, though, when I have that prompting, I just go with it.  Do you know what?  We have NEVER gone hungry and we have ALWAYS been able to meet our financial obligations.  God is faithful and when we step out to help meet the needs of HIS children, I truly believe He honors that.       

Matthew 25:40 The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’


No comments:

Post a Comment