So, it has taken a little over two years, but I have figured out how to do a cornrow. As it turns out, it is really just a reverse french braid. Who knew?
When I took Addie for her haircut, the stylist told me that the best way to deal with her hair would be to do a few cornrows in her hair after a bath to stretch the curls out and then let it hang free. She demonstrated the technique and I could not believe how quickly her fingers moved. I told her I was jealous, but she told me she had been braiding for years. I vowed that I would learn how to do it and now I can say that I did.
On Saturday, I did a couple of little cornrows in the front of Addie's hair - running down each side - and left it free in the back. While it looked so cute while her hair was damp, as soon as it dried, they were really fuzzy. Both she and Sena still have quite a few "baby" hairs around their hairlines and it is almost impossible to contain them. If you have any tips on how to deal with that, please share.
I put two large braids in Sena's hair after her bath yesterday. When she woke up from her nap, I undid the braids, added just a bit of water and conditioner (normally I get it really wet, but I was trying to keep the curls loose and too much moisture causes them to shrink way up) and it was AWESOME! Her hair was very bouncy and big and she loved it.
It has been so much fun experimenting with products and hairstyles for the girls. A few years ago, I never could have imagined the collection of products and hair bling that we have going on around here now. It is something to behold. And...one of these days, I am hopeful that Addie will leave her hair alone while we are in the car on the way to church and refrain from dismantling the bow that her mother so lovingly placed in her hair. Unfortunately, today was not that day.
Mary
8 months ago

You go girl!
ReplyDelete