I just experienced a tiny bit of sadness at the kindergarten pick-up. Isaac and I were walking toward the car - his hand in mine - and he suddenly pulled it away when one of his friends called his name. Sniff. My baby is growing up and doesn't want anyone to think he is a mama's boy.
As I was tucking Jack into bed last night, I was reminiscing about his toddlerhood. His head was on the large side (he has since grown into it - no worries) and he had really fluffy blond hair (which may have caused it to look even larger...) and huge blue eyes. He was a doll and full of personality. He was also the only one of our three children who, when we told him not to get out of bed, did not. Once we put him to bed for the night, we didn't have to worry about him making a curtain call. Each morning when he woke up (usually before 6 am) he would sing in his bed until we went in to get him. Sometimes loudly. One of his favorites was "God Bless America." It is quite hilarious to hear a two year old singing it, especially the line "from the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans - white with foam..." In Jack's version, it was "white with PHONE..." and so funny to hear. It is hard to believe that boy is now 11 and also worried about his image. Just to mess with him, I sometimes try to hold his hand in public and he wants no part of it. Tonight we are heading to his choir concert where songs of the Beach Boys are being showcased. My, how times have changed! Following is one of my favorite pictures from when my sweet boy was three - by this time his fluffy hair had been cut off, but you get the idea...
I wish I could bottle up the innocence that I see reflected in those eyes!


Beautiful thoughts, mama! And boy, does Jack look like his daddy in that pic!
ReplyDeleteJack is so going to here about this. ;)
ReplyDelete