Friday, February 11, 2011

The rest of the story...

I called John from Washington D.C. while we were waiting for our flight to O'Hare.  He told me that things were progressing in ET and that he was hopeful our case would be resolved soon.  As the week went on, it seemed there was a good chance that they might be able to come home on Monday, January 31.  On Saturday, we found out it would not be Monday after all.  He had just changed the plane tickets, too!  Then it looked like it would probably be Tuesday.  I kept waking up early in the morning to call him for news.  Finally, on Tuesday morning, I heard the beautiful words - "I have her visa!"  Thank you, Lord.  Finally, our girl could come HOME!

The boys and I were left with a dilemma.  A blizzard was in the forecast for later in the week, with freezing rain beginning on Monday afternoon.  We didn't want to miss being able to meet John and Sena at the airport.  If we didn't leave Monday, there was a good possibility that we wouldn't be able to travel to the airport.  We decided to camp out at John's parents' (bless their hearts for having us!)  We left at just the right time - the freezing rain started about an hour and a half after we left.  The snow began in earnest Tuesday afternoon.  The wind was CRAZY.  I have never seen anything like it.  By the time the snow stopped, over 20 inches were on the ground in Glenview.  The boys had so much fun.  However, because of the storm, the flight from D.C. was cancelled.







John and Sena spent the night in a hotel and were able to catch a flight the next afternoon.  I cannot tell you the JOY that filled my heart when I saw them walking toward us Thursday afternoon.  John had Sena in the Ergo carrier and he looked tan and healthy.  He made the most of his time in Ethiopia!!  It was so good to be able to wrap my arms around them both!  I immediately took her out of the carrier and I wondered what she would think since I hadn't seen her for a week and a half, but she was fine.  The boys were so excited to meet her, as were John's parents, sister, niece, and nephew.  They were all there to welcome her at the airport and then we headed back to his parents' for dinner.







Sena walked around as if she was completely comfortable with her surroundings.  She enjoyed some pizza for dinner and had fun playing with everyone and then she was ready for bed.  She slept from 7pm to 7am!




We got up and left for home the next morning.  She did great in the carseat - much better than she had on the way home from the airport.  We arrived home and again she seemed completely comfortable.




A few pictures while John and Sena were still in Ethiopia:

Sweet baby sleeping!  The crib had such low sides - I was worried she would climb out, but she never did.

She likes to kick a ball already

Some of the staff from the guest house.  They were so sweet! 

Sena with Addis - the owner of the guest house.  Sena was a big fan of her iphone!

Up to a little mischief?  

Peek a boo!

I'm so impressed that Daddy put on a matching hairband with her outfit!

John said he was tired so he just let her take out all the tissues.  HA!  Looks like she needed one anyway...

1 comment:

  1. So THAT was the snowstorm I could hear over the phone lines! What an amazing child and beautiful pictures. She sounds so peaceful! Blessings on you!!

    ReplyDelete