Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mama guilt

I have been suffering from a serious case of "mama guilt" lately.  It is completely self inflicted and I am working on letting it go, but I'm not quite there yet.  Yesterday was particularly difficult as I was sorting through how to handle the end of the year trip to the zoo for Isaac's first grade class.  I had attended this field trip with both of his brothers, but was feeling torn because of what to do with work and Miss Sena.  I had asked Isaac if he would be upset if I didn't go and he said he would - that certainly did nothing to ease the guilt.  I've been mulling over what to do since the sheet came home a couple of weeks ago and I could not come up with a solution.  Yesterday I dissolved into a puddle of tears - not so much just about the field trip - but it also involved feeling pulled in several directions and, ultimately, feeling sad that my babies are growing up so quickly.  There is, after all, only one first grade field trip to the zoo and I was going to miss it!  As it turns out, work today was lighter than it normally is on Wednesdays and I was finished early.  As we drove home, I asked Sena if she wanted to go the zoo and she gave an enthusiastic nod of her head (not that she had any clue what the zoo was, but she is game for anything that involves going bye-bye!)  We called the school to ask if it would be ok if we just met the buses at the zoo and then we hurried to pack a lunch.  Somehow, we made it to the zoo just behind the buses.  Isaac was pretty happy to see us and we were pretty happy to see him.  It really is such a small thing, but I am very thankful that it worked out for us to go.  My mama guilt was temporarily assuaged and a fun time was had by all:

Happy boy!

Isaac with his cousin, Liam - also a first grader at his school

Sena loved the train and totally cried when we had to get off.

Aunt Annie takes her for a ride on the carousel.  

Someone likes to climb!

Everything is PINK!!

Enjoying a picnic lunch


1 comment: