Saturday, February 4, 2012

We are FAMILY!

I had intended to do this post yesterday on the actual one year anniversary of Sena finally joining our family, but I just couldn't get my act together.  The jet lag this time around has been ROUGH and bedtime has been coming very early the last few days. 

In some ways, it just does not seem possible that Sena has been with us for an entire year!  In others, it seems as if she has always been here.  We are so thankful that God brought this sweet girl into our lives and we cannot imagine what it would be like around here without her.  One of the things I have enjoyed the most over the past year has been watching her brothers with her.  Sena holds a special place in each of their hearts and they are incredibly sweet with her.  When she is throwing a fit about something (such as not wanting to sit in her high chair, but rather a "big girl" chair), Jack "the baby whisperer" comes to the rescue to try to cajole her into cooperating.  It is quite entertaining and it usually works.  Ethan is the music man - she loves to go into his room and listen to music and dance.  She also likes for him to read books to her.  Sena and Isaac are the closest in age - 5 years apart - and sometimes she likes to take his things.  He doesn't like it, but he usually gives in because he doesn't like to see her sad.  She also thinks he is quite hilarious and laughs at his antics.  To say that Sena is spoiled by her brothers is an understatement. Fortunately, she has mom and dad to balance things out!  Not that she isn't spoiled by us sometimes, too, but we learned from her brothers the importance of clear expectations and boundaries with 2 year olds!

The most difficult part of going to Ethiopia was leaving the boys and Sena behind - being almost 8,000 miles away from your babies is not easy.  We worried the most about Sena because she was too young to understand what was going on.  When we arrived home on Wednesday, we were greeted with big hugs from the boys and one little girl who didn't quite know what to do with us.  She was happy and crazy all at the same time.  On Thursday, she was very shy, but by Friday she seemed pretty much back to normal.  She was well loved in our absence and I am very grateful for that.

I never would have imagined at this time last year that just one year later we would be anticipating the arrival of another little one from Gimbie, Ethiopia.  I miss Addie already and am so looking forward to the day when we will all be together.  I remember well the immense relief I felt on that night one year ago knowing we were all under the same roof at last. 


February 3, 2011


February 3, 2012


Sweet Sena


What happened to my baby?
 

2 comments:

  1. So excited for y'all and we can't wait to hear you are headed back to bring Addie home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, she's getting so big! Tell her to slow down, sweet girl! I am super, super excited to see your family picture with Addie in it.

    ReplyDelete