Sunday, May 27, 2012

16 Months

Four months ago, John and I met our sweet girl.  So much has changed since that beautiful January day in Addis Ababa.



After a few minutes of crying, she decided we were ok.  Then I think she decided we were more than ok.  We visited her a total of four times at the transition home and by the last day, she reached for me when she saw me.  The nannies were as surprised by that as I was.  Of course, she then reached for Daddy once she caught a glimpse of him, but it was all good. 

Addie has now been home for five weeks.  She continues to amaze us with her ability to roll with whatever goes on around here.  With five kids, that can be a LOT!  Here are some of the things we have learned about her:

She loves to eat and she loves her bottle.  I think she has gained at least a couple of pounds since she came home.

I love a baby with some chub!


She is happy most of the time.  But, when she is unhappy, she makes it very, very clear.

This is happy.  I have no idea what Sena is doing.  I will spare you unhappy.


She loves her brothers.  They are so good with her and she thinks they are quite entertaining.

Caboose number one and caboose number two (I think)


She loves her sister.  Yesterday, Addie was sitting on her Daddy's lap eating breakfast. When Sena came downstairs, Addie started clapping and saying, "Nena! Nena!" She was so excited to see her big sis. I love that the two of them are developing a good connection.

This was taken right after Addie came home.  Sena didn't want to get *too* close at that point.


This was taken this past week.  Spontaneous displays of affection are coming from both sides.  Sena will randomly drop a kiss on Addie's head and it is SWEET!

She is funny.

She cracks me up when she makes this face. 

She is smart.  I don't really have a picture of that - you'll just have to take my word for it. She is very curious (read: into EVERYTHING) and loves to figure out how things work. 

I'm pretty sure gymnastics is in her future.  I wish I had a picture of her from yesterday as she was sitting in her carseat using her big toe to scratch her eye.  That was interesting.

Speaking of carseats...riding in the car is not her favorite activity and, again, she makes that very, very clear.  I remember when the boys were little wishing we had one of those windows that limos have that roll up and down.  Someone seriously needs to consider making that an option in vehicles geared for families.  Car trips are one of the few times that John and I get to have a decent conversation and such a window would also help the "big ear" syndrome that seems to afflict our older children.

The past five weeks have FLOWN by.  I can already see changes in this sweet girl and I have once again been reminded just how fleeting time really is.  I want to savor this "baby" stage because I know that all too quickly, it will be over.  I am thankful for this girl and can't imagine life without her!

We love you Addise!!





4 comments:

  1. She's changing so fast! Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the sister-sister relationship forming.
    Love your idea about the limo window; we could use one of those too. Having a private conversation is getting harder and harder these days. (When I was a kid - before the seatbelt law - my bro and I would ride in the back of the truck on bean bags for long trips. It was an old truck with no window to open into the cab. Now that I'm a parent, I understand why my parents enjoyed that so much. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I were just talking the other day about needing a limo window in our minivan--seriously, somebody needs to design that!!

    ReplyDelete