Sena and Addie are really starting to dig each other. This morning, I was holding Addie when Sena came downstairs. Addie squealed with delight at the sight of her sister. Sena came and climbed up on my lap and Addie immediately went in for a kiss. Sena can be a bit cranky upon waking, but after a couple minutes, she was ready for some smooches from baby sis. It was precious. Addie has gotten the kissing sound down quite well, but her kisses are often delivered with an open mouth and a fair amount of slobber, so it is no wonder that Sena has to sort of work herself up to one.
Sena has decided that she wants to be Addie's second mama and that seems to be working for us. She loves to "help" me rock and sing to Addie before she goes to sleep. Sena will pat her and try to hold the bottle and whisper sweet things to her. Sena also wants to be the one to wake Addie up from her nap. She says in her sweetest voice as she climbs up on the crib rail, "Wake up sister Addie. Wake up, baby girl."
Addie has been a trooper in the Ergo at the pie shop. It is hot, but she doesn't complain too much. She usually fusses a bit, sleeps for a while, babbles, slobbers on my back, and, occasionally, she rubs my arm and pats me. Once in a while there might be a pinch or two. Overall, she has handled it amazingly well. The really good part? We only have two more days of that little routine until Daddy is home FOR THE SUMMER!
Addie is sleeping all night.
The bad:
Addie usually wakes up before 6 am.
She and Sena fight over toys (big surprise, huh?)
Addie's cry is like a siren - it is long and loud. Fortunately, she is pretty content so we usually don't hear it unless she is hungry or tired or teething.
Addie is cutting molars. See previous entry.
The ugly:
It has been 10 years since I have parented two toddlers who are very close in age. Jack and Ethan are 20 months apart while Sena and Addie are 17 months apart. I was 28 the first time around. Do the math. I am tired. Really, really tired. I am so thankful for naptime. Seriously thankful. I take one every.single.day.
I have realized that I am selfish, but when you have five children, that isn't really an option. I am working on that whole "dying to self" thing - I really do want to serve my family with a good attitude. Sometimes, though, I just can't seem to find the strength to happily change one more poopy diaper or clean up one more mess on the floor. I find it particularly challenging to change the poopy diaper of the daughter who announces from the foyer that "I pooping" when she could walk four steps and do it in the pot and make my life a lot easier. I have told John that his job this summer is potty training that same daughter. I suggested to him that since I potty trained the boys, he should potty train the girls. It only seems fair, right?
The girls love Ethan. He is a great big brother.
Showing some love to baby sis
Silly girls
Celebrating 13 years of JJ

I love the last pic - Sena wearing the bday hat (of course).... FUN!
ReplyDeleteAlways the party girl!
DeleteI'm 2 years older than you and I'm not taking it for granted that both of mine nap every day. I really need it. On the other hand, I often feel like my kids are keeping me younger at heart. 40 doesn't feel so bad when I have to little ones to remind me how amazing our world is. :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE that Sena is loving on her baby sis'. They are both so adorable. I think I love your family... ever thought of a trip to the Northwest?
Naptime is such a blessing. I am always in a much better frame of mind after a little break in the afternoon. I am going to focus on the "young at heart" aspect, Rachel! That is a great way to look at it.
DeleteWe were totally planning to make a trip out West this summer, but that was before we knew we would be adopting again so soon. We are going to get there one of these days!
*two* little ones
ReplyDeleteOh, Jen, this is my life! The only big dif is that I don't have to wake up at 4:30 to bake pies, and so I don't nap. (Don't dare nap, actually, b/c there are too many little restless ones.)
ReplyDeleteHang in there! It will get easier with the 2 as they get older. Already, instead of 1, 2, and 3...we have 2, 3, and 5. One year home and one year older makes such a huge impact on my energy level!