Friday, October 19, 2012

One of those weeks

Oh boy.  It is 6pm on Friday night and I have escaped to my bedroom for some peace and quiet.  Unfortunately, there is no stash of chocolate covered peanuts in my nightstand these days, so I'm settling for a piece of peppermint gum.  It isn't quite the same.

We have had one doozy of a week around here and this mama is tired and a bit weary.  It goes with the territory.  I have cleaned up a lot of messes, washed a lot of clothes, soothed fussy ladies, refereed arguments between boys, cooked a lot of food, changed a lot of diapers, etc.  I know, I know - my life is very glamorous.  As I was walking through the grocery store on Tuesday with Addie in the cart giving her Miss America wave to anyone who looked her way and Sena pushing her own little cart behind me (my ankles are so very thankful to the grocery store for supplying that torture device), an older lady smiled at us and told me that she missed those days.  I try to remember that what we have going on over here - as hard as it is some days - is only for a season and I know I will look back and miss it, too.  In the midst of the mundane, it is easy to forget how incredibly blessed we are.

I have been reading a book called Almost Amish by Nancy Sleeth.  It is quite interesting.  Years ago, John bought me a copy of Beverly Lewis' The Shunning and I have been hooked on Amish fiction ever since.  The Amish lifestyle has always intrigued me and the more complicated our lives have become, the more I see the value in the Amish way of life.  While I love modern conveniences and can't imagine living without them (particularly central air and heating), there is something about the old school way of doing things that is pretty remarkable.  I also love the idea of a simpler lifestyle.  The author shares what her family did in adopting an "almost" Amish lifestyle and there are some practical things that we could easily do.  Some things, however, are a bit trickier.  While it is lovely that they did away with their television, it is also to be noted that they only had two children.  I am truly sorry, but at this point in my life, if Dora was not an option, I might not survive.  The 30 minute sanity breaks that Dora provides are muy importante!   

On that note, I have been discovered by two incredibly cute little ladies, so my peace and quiet is no more.  CIAO.

No comments:

Post a Comment