I cannot even believe that it has been two whole years since I first held my sweet Sena in my arms. As I think back to that time, I am overwhelmed by the magnitude of it all. The fact that I got on a plane after a 12 year hiatus was a miracle in itself. To board a plane on a Friday afternoon and be in AFRICA the next day was just unreal. I remember getting our first whiff of the air in Ethiopia - there is nothing else quite like it. We navigated the airport with no problem and then we were on our way! I was a bit alarmed as we bumped over the roads on our way to the guest house because there were people EVERYWHERE and I thought surely we were going to hit someone. Waking up to our first morning in Ethiopia was nothing short of amazing. The sun was so bright and the air so crisp. I loved looking out the window and just watching the people walk by. We visited an International church later that morning and saw a lot of Addis Ababa along the way. I remember standing there during worship thinking that surely this must be a bit like Heaven as people from all different nations were gathered in that place to worship God.
That afternoon, we had our first experience with shopping in the tourist area. That was interesting. As it turns out, my husband must have "sucker" written all over his face because he came home with gum, maps, and other items that I am sure he paid way too much for. I had a hard time sleeping that night because the next day was the day we would finally meet our girl. The anticipation was almost more than I could handle.
On Monday, October 25, we loaded up the van with donations for the orphanage and headed to Adama. I quickly learned that it is best not to look out the front window when driving on a highway in Ethiopia. The scenery out the side windows was breathtaking, so it worked out quite nicely!
As the van pulled up to the gate of the orphanage, it was hard to catch my breath. THIS.WAS.IT. My sweet girl was in there!! We were escorted to a room off the courtyard and then Joy brought Sena in to meet us. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Seeing her in the flesh and then holding her in the arms that had been aching to hold her for such a long time was so, so amazing. I will never forget that moment. It was big. BIG. BIG! We spent the rest of the day getting to know her and interacting with the other children.
As we drove away from the orphanage that day, I felt that my heart was being torn in two. It was clear that the nannies loved Sena and she loved them. Taking her away from all that was familiar and then leaving her in a strange place until she was cleared to come home was hard. My heart just broke for her. You can see in the following video how guarded Sena was with John and I, but how happy she was with her nannies. I was so relieved to see that interaction because I knew that she was going to eventually be ok with us. She has come a long way in two years and I am so thankful that I get to be her mama. How I love this girl!!
Meeting Sena
Mary
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment