Thursday, January 24, 2013

It's a small world

When Jack was born almost 14 years ago, we had dial-up internet that was slow and frustrating.  Nonetheless, in my quest to be the best mama I could be for my sweet boy, I made some connections with other mamas who had children the same age from around the country and their knowledge and support was a blessing. 

Ten years later, we began our adoption journey, and, once again, online connections were made with other mamas on this same journey.  The main difference?  High speed internet!  In a matter of seconds, I could be in contact with a fellow mama regardless of location.  Not only was that a blessing to me as we were waiting for our girls to come home, but it has also been incredibly helpful as issues have come up now that they are home.  Just this week, I posted a question in one of my groups and within minutes, several mamas had written helpful responses regarding their experiences and my heart was immediately at ease. I am so thankful for the friends that I have made through blogs and Facebook - many of whom I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting in real life.  That is going to change in about four months, though, as a bunch of families will be gathering for a reunion (many of our children lived in the same orphanages in Ethiopia) in Nashville.  I.CAN'T.WAIT.

It has been so fun to "watch" from afar as families are matched with children and then to see those children eventually come home.  Right now, there is a family in Washington in process to bring two children home from China.  One of their children has cancer and needs to come home ASAP.  In order to help raise funds, they have put together a cookbook that includes a chapter from other adoptive moms with recipes from Guatemala, China, and Ethiopia (as well as some dessert recipes from me.)  You can read more about their story and order a cookbook HERE.


Here is a little sample of what you will find in the cookbook:

Tinga de Pollo

1 whole fryer chicken, cooked and shredded
3 T canola oil
1/2 onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
6-8 roma tomatoes, halved
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 adobo chilis

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are coming apart (about 15 minutes). In a blender combine tomato mixture, bouillon, and chilies. Return to skillet with shredded chicken. Heat and serve on tostadas with lettuce, refried black beans(recipe in this cookbook), salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and whatever else you may like to pile on. Remaining chilies can be frozen for next use by freezing them in ice cube trays and once frozen, transfer to ziplock.
 
The first time I ate this I thought I was going to accidentally eat my hand it was so good...it's messy, it's a little time consuming but oh man...it is worth it. When you make this recipe, pray for the Bult's in Mexico..they are starting an orphanage there and need your prayers.

Bear Bryant Pie

Use a pre-made crust or use the recipe for homemade crust in this cookbook.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare pie crust in pie plate. Prick bottom and sides lightly with fork. Use pie weights if you have them to prevent crust from collapsing. Prebake crust for 10 min. Remove and set aside. For filling melt:

1 stick butter
2 squares unsweetened chocolate (2 oz)
1 C sugar
1/4 C flour
pinch of salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 T vanilla
1/2 C chopped pecans (optional but optimal!)

Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler. Remove from heat and add sugar, flour and salt. Stir. Temper your eggs and add them and the vanilla. Fold in nuts. Pour into pie crust. Turn oven to 325 and bake 30 min. Server warm with cream or ice cream.

My mother in law gave me this recipe. It is a thanksgiving staple. Bless her heart, she has spent years going to football games with my father-in-law. She has set a good example of loving what your husband loves. She found it years ago in a football game program back in the 60’s. It was entered by the Alabama football coach’s wife, Mrs. Bryant.

2 comments: