Saturday, January 5, 2013

Hair - again

A few months ago, a fellow adoptive mama shared this link with me when I asked her what product she was using on her daughter's hair.  It wasn't the product as much is it was the technique: shingling.  I tried it with Sena and really liked it, but it was rather time consuming to take tiny strands of her hair and coat it with product.  Over time, I have sort of developed a modified shingling technique and I LOVE what it does to my girls' hair.  Basically, what I have been doing after each bath is adding in some Shea Moisture Leave-In conditioner followed by coconut oil.  Then I clip the top section of the hair and go to work on the bottom.  I take a decent sized section and comb through with a wide tooth comb.  Then I dip my fingers in the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and rake them through her hair.  I repeat this probably eight times to cover her entire head and it probably only takes about 5 minutes or so.  Not only does it look great, but her hair gets far less tangled this way.  When it is time to co-wash again (usually every 2 days), detangling is a breeze. 




I decided that Addie might also benefit from this method.  Her hair is much different than Sena's and tends to tangle very easily.  She really should be wearing a sleep cap, but she would tolerate it for about half a second before ripping it off.  When she wakes up in the morning or from her nap, her hair is WILD!  A few spritzes of water, some conditioner and coconut oil usually tame her curls very easily, but I really love how her curls look after shingling.






 

I continue to be a big fan of the Shea Moisture products.  They are reasonably priced and work well on both of my girls.

4 comments:

  1. Great job! They are beautiful and their hair looks great! Ok, I"m going to try it....Our target didn't have the leave-in conditioner, so I'll have to order it, and I'll give it a whirl. What are you using for coconut oil? Is it a hair product, or like coconut oil you can find in the grocers?

    I REALLY need to figure this out! :oD

    Lisa H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa - This is the kind I get: http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut/dp/B004NTCE1M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1357479396&sr=8-7&keywords=nutiva

    One tub lasts me a LONG time. You can order the leave-in from Amazon, too. I have looked and can't find it at any stores. )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Sahara's hair this am like this. Love the way it turned out!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just hearing that Shea Moisture was created by a 19 yr old widow with 4 kids was enough to make me buy it, plus it's a really great product. Someone told me about the Tamer Teaser brush from Sally and it has been great at de-tangling.

    ReplyDelete