Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Deep Conversation

Isaac, who is trying to put off going to bed for as long as possible, just came out of his room and asked me if he was adopted. I told him that he wasn't and that he came out of my tummy. Then, of course, he wanted to know how exactly he got out of my tummy. I told him that I just sort of squeezed him out. That didn't quite suffice. I tried telling him again that I just pushed him out, but I could see that concept is rather confusing for a 5 year old. I really didn't want to go into detail, so he finally decided that he just "broke through" and that was good enough for him. Then he wanted to know if I got a new belly. Don't I wish! One that wasn't quite so chubby and laden with stretch marks.

Those stretch marks are one reminder of what I went through to birth three sons. I wonder what will stand out as a reminder for me, years down the road, of what I went through to bring our daughter into our family. I'm hoping that it's not excess pounds, though I do tend to be a stress/emotional eater. I have recently (as in Monday) started on a "lifestyle change" in order to shed a few pounds before the physical that I will have as a requirement for the home study. Someone may or may not have slightly underestimated her current weight on her adoption application and wants to rectify that ASAP. But I digress...

What I really want to stand out is that I was changed. For the better. For learning to step outside of my comfort zone and see what I can do to make a difference in someone else's life. I fall so short of the mark on this. My intentions are good, but sometimes I am just too tired, busy, or whatever to follow through with them. I am a work in progress. I have to say that I do feel added pressure to get my act together before this baby arrives. I don't remember being as reflective when my boys arrived. I suppose my outlook on life is much different now than it was ten years ago, or even one year ago when I really thought we needed a new house, car, etc. Those things are great and there is nothing wrong with having them. I just realize that, in the grand scheme of things, how nice my house was or what kind of car I drove won't matter a bit. It has taken me 35 years to truly understand that possessions cannot make me happy. There is a joy that comes from doing what you know in your heart you are supposed to do and that is what I am after.

No comments:

Post a Comment