I just got home from spending the evening in the ER with Ethan. He came home from school and went straight to bed. His head was hurting and he said he didn't feel good. I woke him up an hour later and he still was not doing well. He seemed a little feverish, his heart rate was rather high and he just looked horrible. They determined he was pretty dehydrated, so they started him on fluids. They also did a EKG to check his heart and a chest xray because he had complained of shortness of breath. I was a little surprised the whole workup. As it turns out, the poor guy has pneumonia. Yuck! They gave him a round of IV antibiotics and sent us home with an oral antibiotic. Two and a half days of school down, and already he will have to be absent!
As I was sitting with Ethan in the room, I realized how thankful I am for the convenience of medical care five minutes from my house. We have a hospital that is clean and staffed with people who really want to help the sick feel better. Then I began to think about the conditions for the children in Ethiopia, where our baby will be coming from. There are so many orphans with little access to food, let alone medical care. If they become sick, there is no one to give them medicine to help them feel better. So many of them are dying of preventable diseases. We are so blessed in this country. How can we not share what we have with those who are less fortunate?
Mary
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment