We had the annual picture on the porch this morning:
How exactly can it be that the big one on the left is in MIDDLE SCHOOL? Seriously. Just moments ago I was holding him and staring at him amazed at the wonderful creation God had sent our way. I remember crying serious tears at the hospital when they were testing him for various conditions soon after birth. They pricked his heal and then squeezed his foot with gusto and he cried so hard. Then I cried. I couldn't bear the thought of someone hurting my baby! Now here we are eleven years later and he is off to the big bad world of middle school. I spent some time in middle school, too - as a student and then as a teacher. I know what goes on there and I know what kids can be like. But, we have a secret weapon and his name is DAD!! Jack is in his homeroom, as well as two classes. Knowing that Dad is in the house has set my heart at ease (and probably Jack's, too, though he would never admit it.) I realize that won't stop the insanity that is middle school, but there is comfort in knowing that someone who loves you is nearby.
And so it goes. We'll settle into a routine and time will march on. Then, out of the blue, hopefully sometime in October, we'll get a call that will throw our whole system into chaos. I have never been more excited for chaos in my life because that will mean that we will soon be on our way to ETHIOPIA and to meeting the little one who has captured all of our hearts. For one who claims to hate to fly, I can't wait to haul myself onto a plane and get this show on the road. Perhaps God knew all along that if He made me wait long enough, I would come to terms with my fear and it would no longer be an issue. Go figure.
Mary
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment