Someone has voiced concern regarding the amount of money that we are spending on our adoption. That didn't sit right with me. Who can put a price tag on a LIFE? UGH! I'm pretty sure that people have spent in the ballpark of 30 grand on any and all of the following:
a car
a boat
an rv
a motorcycle
a vacation
plastic surgery
What is the common denominator in all of this? These things are TEMPORAL. They are FLEETING. They have NO ETERNAL VALUE.
While we're at it, let's take it one step further and wonder about how this adoption is going to affect our boys. Wow. Really? Our boys are going to be less selfish and more accepting of differences in others. Our boys know there is a whole world out there and that many people are suffering and dying due to poverty and disease and we have it within our power to help make a difference in the lives of some of those people. We are not wealthy by any stretch (hello, a teacher and small business owner - do the math) but we can make some changes in our lifestyle so that others can have food or clean water or medicine. I am working very hard not to judge others who do not see the need as urgently as I do. It took time for me to realize the need, too. However, it is really hard to tolerate being judged by others for putting our faith into action in order to care for the less fortunate. I don't regret for one second choosing to take this journey. The process itself has been difficult at times, but our faith has only been strengthened through those trials. I know that God will give us everything we need in the months and years ahead as we bring baby S home and start a new life as a family of 6. It might be really hard and it might not. Whatever the case may be, we will love that little girl and do our best to be the family she needs us to be. I can't wait to see what God is going to do. He has a plan for her and I count it a privilege to be a small part of that plan.
2 Corinthians 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
Mary
8 months ago

Oh Jennifer, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Hang in there - I am certain that the enemy is using those people to attack you, even if they are believers. Bless you my friend!
ReplyDeleteI know just what you're going through!! No amount of money could ever compare to the life you will have with the family you are creating! I like Doctor Suess's quote..."those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." :) Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteAMEN sister! Just wait until God calls your family to do this again ;) You'll really get peoples feathers ruffled about the 'cost'. God is good, He is faithful and your life will be blessed beyond belief. I know we wouldn't change a thing. Our adoptions have changed our family, yes! They have cost a ton of money, for sure but the blessings are priceless!
ReplyDeleteyou've said this beautifully.
ReplyDeletewhen it's all said and done, the money we have isn't OURS in the first place ~it's the Lord's and He tells us how to spend it..and for many of us, it's to pay the ransom for His children.
Perfectly said. We know in our hearts we are doing the best thing for those girls and our family. God knows we are doing the right thing, He lead us down this path. That is all that matters. One day when we stand before God, if he asks us what we did with "HIS" money....well, we saved a life. I think that's a pretty good answer!!! We are on the crazy journey with you sista!!! We can do this!!!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this post!
ReplyDelete