Saturday, October 30, 2010

Monday, October 25, 2010

This is the day we had been waiting for.  So many months of anticipation and we would finally have the opportunity to see our girl in the flesh.  I can't even describe the feelings that were swirling around inside of me as we prepared to leave for Adama that morning.  Knowing that in a couple of hours she would be in my arms was so surreal.  The crew from YWAM - Joy, Mark, Jeff, and Abebe - arrived at our guest house bright and early for the trip to the Widows and Orphans home.  We hadn't been outside of Addis Ababa yet, so it was awesome to see some wide open spaces.  The countryside was just beautiful.  As we pulled into the city of Adama, my heart started racing.  We were almost there!  Soon, we were at the gates to the home.  This was it!  We piled out of the van and were greeted by some of the widows, as well as the children living there.  Such precious, precious people.  Soon, we were taken to a room to wait for our girl and shortly thereafter, Joy walked in with S.  Oh.my.word.  We didn't try to hold her right away, but instead just talked to her (even though she obviously does not understand English!) and smiled at her.  She looked around at all the people holding cameras and watching the proceedings.  Finally, Abebe said we should just pick her up.  I gladly took her from Joy and held her close.  AHHHHHHHHH.  What a feeling to finally be able to wrap my arms around that precious bundle.  She looked at me and looked at John and didn't quite know what to think.  I passed her to John and she continued to look around and wonder what was going on.  I got a toy out of our backpack and she liked that.  She smiled and then all of a sudden, the smiles turned to tears.  We took her outside and walked around with her and she settled in.  We had been told that she loves to be held and it is true!  She also loves to suck her thumb.  We spent the afternoon playing with her and the other children living there.  They are such sweet kids and we truly enjoyed our time with them.  I was so thankful for the opportunity to see her in her familiar environment.  The nannies there obviously love the children and the feeling is mutual.  The children are well loved and well cared for and that is something for which I am extremely grateful.  Before long, it was time to say goodbye and head back to Addis and the transition home where S. will live until it is time for us to bring her home for good.  It was so hard to leave and take her away from all that is familiar.  I thought my heart would break in two.  The nannies, widows, and older children kissed her and told her goodbye.  I know it was hard for them to see her go, too.  We loaded up the van and S. settled on my lap for the trip back to Addis.  She is a snuggler and I loved every minute that I got to hold her close.  All too soon, it was time to leave her at the transition home.  We took her up to her room and said a quick goodbye since would be going back to see her the following day.  There was a lot for me to process as we headed to bed that night - it proved to be another one with very little sleep.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could have seen all of this in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* I have chills and am holding back tears just reading this...I'm going to be a mess when you have her in your arms for FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete