Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Update

I just received an email back from the author whom I referenced yesterday.  I so appreciate the fact that she was willing to write back.  She apologized and acknowledged that the comment could be taken the wrong way, but that was not her intention.  However, she said she would be more careful in the future.  I know that I, too, have made flippant remarks that came across the wrong way.  When it comes to those who have no one to speak for them, the mama bear in me becomes a little riled.  When I hear people make comments about those who live in the underdeveloped world as if they are somehow less than we are, I simply cannot be silent.  I'm going to take another tangent here that has nothing to do with books and authors...I have had several people say to me regarding the orphan crisis, "Well, they shouldn't have so many kids then" or equally foolish comments.  In this country, birth control is readily available if we so choose.  In many places around the world, it simply is not available.  So, the only option to prevent pregnancy is to abstain.  Hmmm...if the tables were turned and we did not have birth control available to us,  I'm guessing people wouldn't feel the same way.  I suppose it might make us feel better about living in luxury while others live in abject poverty if we believe they brought it on themselves.  What I really believe it boils down to is that God has blessed us so that we can bless others.  Period.  Some people get that.  Some people don't.  Can you imagine what it would be like if sufficient food, water, and shelter, as well as medical care were available to all people?  What would happen if all of us who have more than we could ever need stepped up and gave of our excess?  I do believe that God is getting the attention of His people and that more and more are grasping what I'm sure He has been trying to get through to us for a very long time.  There is such freedom and joy in being obedient to what He has asked us to do. 

Psalm 143:10 Teach me to do your will, for you are my God.  May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing.

1 comment: