Monday, March 14, 2011

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all the people who are apparently passionate about adopting solely from the United States and feel inclined to make their opinions known...

would put their money where their mouth is and DO IT THEMSELVES?  Think of the number of children who would have forever homes!  I am all for adoption - from the U.S., Asia, South America, Africa - wherever there are children in need.  I would never disparage someone who chooses to open their hearts and homes to a child no matter where the child came from.  Why, then, do so many feel the need to make it known they do not approve of adoption outside the good ol' USA?  Why is ok to think that American children are somehow more deserving of a family than a child from another part of the world?  The unfortunate thing is that most of the people who voice their opinions on this particular topic are not doing anything to make a difference for a child anywhere.  And yet they continue to spew their nonsense.  People who truly understand God's heart on adoption will not be put off by the country of origin. I am so thankful that God directed us to Ethiopia because that is where our daughter was.  I am also grateful that the majority of people in my life "get it."  I am still working on that thick skin...

6 comments:

  1. I have been following your blog through YWAM. Your baby girl is JUST precious.

    Exactly!

    I grew up in foster care. As an adult, I wanted to help kids like me. My husband and I brought teenagers into our home for a while, but our kids reached an age where that was no longer possible or safe for them. We decided to bring a child permanently into our family through adoption. We have been CASA volunteers for 8 years, so my husband and I naturally thought US foster care was where we needed to adopt from. We made the decision for our family not to adopt out of birth order. We put our names in the hat for over 100 different children under the age of 6 and did get a call back for any of them. When we found out that we were "competing" against hundreds of other home studies for every child we were interested in, even medically fragile kids, we decided that maybe the need was greater elsewhere.

    The US foster system needs families that are equipped to adopt girls older than 12 and boys older than 8. Our family does not match that profile right now. Later, definitely.

    Our domestic miracle daughter came to us only because we were home study ready at the right time (God's direction, God's timing) not because there are an abundance of children who need adoptive families in the US.

    When it came time to adopt again, we felt God had our next child elsewhere. Don't you just love YWAM and the work they are doing? The more I read out there, the more I appreciate the shelter they provide not just to the kids, but to us, the adoptive families. This whole process has been covered in abundant prayer.

    I love what you wrote. "The unfortunate thing is that most of the people who voice their opinions on this particular topic are not doing anything to make a difference for a child anywhere."

    There is so much ignorance about adoption (mine, included) out there especially when people remove God from the equation. He sets the lonely in families! Our God is SO GOOD! We can just rest and rest and rest in that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN SISTER!!!!!!
    When people give us their thoughts about OUR family, I ALWAYS ask. "And how many children have adopted"?

    Well, of course, you know my heart. ANY child, ANYWHERE, ANY TIME!

    Love ya my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH! Frustrating. I think I have a post somewhere on my blog about the same thing. love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this "mama lion" part of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so nice to hear from the mamas who "get it!!" Dawn - if you get a chance, can you email me at jejohns95@yahoo.com. I have some questions regarding adopting through the foster care system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actions not words.......... :)

    ReplyDelete