Matthew 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Sena and I ran errands the other day. At one of our stops, someone commented on how much she has grown and asked how she was adjusting. I reported that she was doing well and we talked about how the dynamics of our family have changed with her arrival. The conversation moved on to the expense of adoption and I told her that, yes, it is expensive. I also mentioned that people spend that kind of money all the time on vehicles, but that we chose to invest in a life instead. And what a return on that investment we have received! For about the price of a GMC Acadia (the SUV I had my eye on before we felt God's leading to adopt), we brought home a priceless treasure that will not rust and lose value with each passing day. In fact, because I knew that every dollar we shelled out along the way brought us closer to her, I gladly wrote out every single check!! GLADLY!! I can't imagine feeling the same way about a car payment. I have said it so many times, but we would have missed out on so much if we hadn't pursued adoption. It was in taking that step that our eyes have truly been opened to the world around us. Temporal things just don't hold the same value they once did and in that there is freedom like I've never known before.
We recently made the decision to start the adoption process again. For us, it was never really a matter of "if" - it was simply when. I talked to our social worker back in May about updating our home study, but the timing didn't seem quite right. Over the summer, John and I had many discussions about what God wanted for our family. There was talk of him taking a sabbatical and perhaps teaching overseas. As we prayed and considered the logistics of something like that, again it just didn't seem to be the right time. Several years ago, John shared with me that he would love to teach in Africa when he retires. My response was, "Mmmm hmmm - and you'll be going alone because you know I am not getting on a plane..." My how things have changed!! Since we are still a few years out from retirement - or maybe 17 - we started to really think about what we can do here and now. Since we are raising four kids, we can surely raise 5! As it turns out, though, we have now fallen into the "strange" category. When you adopt one child, there is sort of the "well, that's noble of you" mindset. When you adopt another one (especially when you already have four children at home and the primary breadwinner is a teacher), you are sort of "out there." I told someone the other day that we hope to add another child to our brood and she actually put her hand to my head to see if I had a fever! Perhaps we are crazy. I'm pretty sure some people thought Jesus was crazy, too. I have realized that if you go against the grain and throw caution to the wind and try to live the way that you believe God wants you to live, it sometimes makes people uncomfortable. What I want more than anything is to please Him because, in the end, that is all that really matters. I fall so short of the mark so many times, but I am thankful that he forgives me and loves me anyway.
Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Mary
6 months ago

So excited for you guys!!! Ethiopia again?!?!
ReplyDeleteGirl you've got a fever all right! This song comes to mind...
ReplyDeleteNever know how much I love you,
Never know how much I care.
When you put your arms around me,
I get a fever that's so hard to bear.
You give me fever,
When you kiss me,
Fever when you hold me tight.
Fever! In the morning,
Fever all through the night.
What a lovely way to burn...
Anyway...we understand.
Love love love! I can relate:) When we turned 40 we thought that we would be planning a trip to Italy...which no one batted an eye at...but the Lord had something even more amazing in mind :)Now our second one people have just given up on us...and I am good with that! They ask...will you be done after this one??? My answer, not sure what the Lord has in mind. So excited for you! May this phase be without any obstacles. I will enjoy watching the ourney unfold.
ReplyDeleteLove to read this "official announcement". I guess it is for real now! Can't wait to follow you on this next journey! gonna email you now:)
ReplyDeleteI love your blogs--I just got updated on the past month. Wow is all I can say. You guys are in a great place, and you really inspire me! I am so proud to be your sister! God has great plans in store for you, and for all of us for that matter, when we open our hearts to his plan and allow HIS divine intervention to occur! I LOVE YOU!!!!
ReplyDeletewe always say ... "the world will call you crazy, but the Lord will call you Faithful!" so excited to see the plans that HE has for you this time! ;)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Jeff & Chris