I think that people are trying to be supportive when they tell us we are "saints" for adopting a child who needed a family, but I struggle with that concept. I know myself and my flaws pretty well and, while I desire to live my life in a way that pleases God, I also know how often I mess up and am anything but saintly. I am a work in progress, though, so there is hope for me yet!
I think what is most disconcerting about that idea is that it seems, on some level, to convey that the child that God has placed in our family doesn't quite measure up or something. I know that my feelings and perceptions are vastly different from those of someone merely observing our family so I don't expect them to truly get it. They don't know how many months we prayed that God would bring our girl home. They don't know that I loved her before I met her and holding her in my arms for the first time was a dream come true. They don't know that she is every bit as much a member of this family as the children who were born to us. When I look at her, I see so much more than her beautiful eyes and a smile that lights up a room. I see God's hand on her life. She is created in His image and He has a plan for her. He has allowed our family to be a part of her story and we are honored that He trusted us with her. We took that initial step of faith many months ago as we purposed to do what we could to help make a difference in the life of a child. That doesn't qualify us as saintly - simply obedient. We believe that God is again calling us to take a step of faith. Is it risky? Sure it is. But I find comfort in knowing that He, who knows the end of the story already, is right here along with us for the ride.
Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
Mary
8 months ago

the God who has called you knows the end of the story, and he will again place the right child in your home. believing God with you, friend!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post.... FOR HE IS FAITHFUL!
ReplyDelete