Friday, August 3, 2012

18 Months Home

Three years ago today, we mailed the initial paperwork to our agency and so began our adoption journey.  Exactly one week later, a tiny girl was born in Gimbi, Ethiopia.  Five months later, we saw her face for the very first time on YWAM's waiting child list.  Her beautiful brown eyes drew me in and I spent the following 10 weeks praying that no one else would choose her.  We were waiting on our approval from USCIS and until we had the I171H in hand, we could not request her referral.  I checked the list several times each day just to make sure she was still there.  Each time as I waited for the page to load, my heart would start beating rapidly.  Once I saw her sweet face staring back at me, my heart was at ease.  In March 2010, we were matched with Sena, but had to wait another three months before her official referral was sent to us.  We waited through court closure and finally had the chance to meet her on October 25, 2010.  What an amazing day that was.  I will never forget the joy of finally holding her in my arms.  Fourteen LONG weeks later, Sena came home - exactly 18 months to the day that we sent in our application to Children's House.  Now here we are - 18 months later - with a sweet girl who will turn 3 next week.  She has been such a blessing and we are so thankful that we get to be her family.  I love this girl with all my heart and I pray that as she grows, she will always know that no matter what she is up against, her mama has her back. 

The was the first picture we saw of our sweet girl

Oh how I wish I could have held her when she was that little!

Sweet sleeper - she is still a great sleeper!

February 2011 - right after she came home

Perhaps this was a sign of things to come...

I can't believe how much she has changed in 18 months!


What happened to that tiny girl?  Now she is dressing herself - complete with accessories!

This is what we call the Sena sandwich

Swinging in her princess costume - she may have a flair for the dramatic...

18 months home is also significant in that it means that Sena has been in our family longer than she was in an orphanage!  It has been so fun learning all about what makes this little girl tick and we are excited to see what she will do with her life.




1 comment:

  1. So, so sweet. <3 I remember first emailing back and forth waiting for our I171h's. So glad for a friendship forged through adoption!

    ReplyDelete