Monday, August 6, 2012

Noise

I want to say that I have gotten used to the noise that comes from having five children, but I'm not sure that is true.  As I type this, my son is loudly smacking his gum next to me and I may have just asked him to move.  A mama can only take so much, you know. 

There is a part of me that just craves quiet.  That doesn't usually arrive until all of the kids are in bed and that is happening later and later as they get older.  I remember the days of the 7pm bedtime and they were AWESOME.  Now, I sometimes go to bed before the boys.  Sad, but true.

I am learning, though, that noise is not always literal.  Sometimes there is stuff occupying my thoughts that keeps me from having peace.  One of those things is the whole ethics and adoption debate.  I have read some things lately that have gotten my dander up and, because I am a girl of principals, sometimes I just have to say something.  I have learned, though, that the "all adoptions are unethical" people can't be reasoned with.  They have an agenda and they will not change their minds no matter what evidence is presented.  Just tonight, I cancelled my "membership" to a group that often leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth because I realized that there is just no point in speaking up. 

Adoption is messy business.  It is complicated.  There are no hard and fast answers.  But, there are a lot of vocal people who like to discuss the topic and who just want to be RIGHT.  And they want everyone to know they are right.  I have decided to steer clear of that particular segment of the population for the foreseeable future and, thus, eliminate some of the noise in my world.  It is strangely freeing.  So freeing, in fact, that I am headed over to another forum to cancel my membership there, too.  I am on a roll...

1 comment: