Friday, September 10, 2010

Bittersweet

We received our monthly progress report on baby S today.  I was happy to see that she is growing and doing very well.  At the bottom of the page, it reported that she is walking.  While this is a happy thing and great that she is on track developmentally, it made me a little sad because it is just one more thing that I have missed out on in her life.  I remember when my boys took their first steps and how excited they were and I was for them.  I loved being at home with them and experiencing all the milestones together.  So many things happen in the first year of life: first smiles, rolling over, sitting up, crawling, pulling up, first teeth...While part of me mourns the things that I have missed out on, the other part of me is so looking forward to all the firsts we will have when baby S finally joins our family.  We are getting SO close.  Before we know it, she will be in our arms and all this waiting will be a distant memory.  A whole new chapter of our lives will begin.  I am ready to close the book on the adoption process and get going on the real journey with the ups and downs that I know are inevitable.  I am so thankful that God has brought us this far and I am trusting Him to see us through.

Psalm 121:1  I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. 3 He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber; 4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.  5 The Lord watches over you—the Lord is your shade at your right hand; 6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; 8 the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

2 comments:

  1. Bittersweet indeed. Now that we have a face and a name, I am starting to understand how you feel. We got an updates picture this week. I saw my delicate little girl wearing an outfit I didn't buy her being held by someone I don't know. I am so grateful for those caring for her and for people who have donated clothes to the orphange for the babies to wear- but I am ready to be the one to hold and dress, bathe and cuddle her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate Jennifer. Our report said Sarah is rolling over and pulling herself up. Great developmentally, but wishing she were here with us. Persistent petitioning to our Father for the PERFECT October court dates. Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete