Friday, November 5, 2010

Working on that thick skin

Tracy and I were baking our little hearts out at the pie shop this morning when a man came to make a delivery and asked if we wanted to hear a "story."  I think we both knew it would be inappropriate, but we played along to be polite.  He started in and almost immediately we realized that it was racist in nature.  When neither of us laughed at his punchline, he told us he knew not to tell "stories" in the pie shop anymore.  I told him that it hit a little too close to home and he left.  And I hope he never comes back.  My stomach was sick to think that there are lots of other people just like him roaming around spewing their venom to whomever will listen.  It is just sick and wrong and I am angry.  The fact that he somehow thinks that caucasians are superior to those of other races is telling of his own ignorance, but it also makes me sad to think that my daughter is going to have to contend with that all too soon.  I am just going to tell you here and now that in me there lurks a mama bear and it is really best to keep her hibernating. 

1 Samuel 16:7 says ..for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."  There are quite a few people out there with some nasty looking hearts who are going to stand before God someday - just as we all will.  Who would want to stand before a God who created - in His own image - a beautiful array of people of different colors and tell Him that He somehow made a mistake with some of them?   Seriously.  I'm stepping off my soapbox now...


.

2 comments:

  1. EEEEEEWWWWWE! I do not like that one bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until you tell a story like this again, but you pull out a family pic and make that person feel like garbage...or confuse the daylights out of them so that they don't return!

    Sorry this happened :/

    ReplyDelete