Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Action

Today, John, Sena, and I made the trek to Indianapolis to have our biometric fingerprints captured.  I wasn't sure how our girl would do with a five hour round trip drive, but she was amazing.  Even though we spent much of the day in the van, it still proved to be an enjoyable one for all three of us.  We were at the same USCIS office almost two years ago for our first set of fingerprints. We took the boys with us that time and I remember chuckling as the security guards ran the scanner up and down the boys.  They thought that was rather cool.  This time, it was a bit surreal to have the little one who represents the end result of that first journey experiencing the scanner.  I had a moment right there in the hallway as I took it all in.  I didn't cry, though.  I had already done that on the way to the office. 

As we were driving over, we had Christmas music playing (I waited until November this year - usually it comes out in October.)  As I listened to Steven Curtis Chapman's All I Really Want for Christmas, the tears just flowed.  My heart literally aches when I consider the number of children in this world who have no one to call their family.  I know that we can't be a family for all of them, but we sure can be for at least two of them.  You read that right - I am making no promises that we are done adopting children after this one.  I actually did say a while back that two would be it for us, but I know better than to try to predict God's plan.  When my husband mentioned he could see us fostering kids or adopting older kids when we're in our 50's, I realized I need to keep an open mind.  I know that it seems weird to some people (and the more kids you adopt, apparently the weirder you are), but we have been prompted to action.  We know that we are responsible to do something - we can't pretend we don't know because we have seen the need with our own eyes. Someone has said to us, "You have already adopted.  You can't be the answer for everyone.  Let someone else do it."   That rationale simply doesn't fly because there are already too many "someone elses" out there doing absolutely nothing.  Too many have traded the pursuit of God for the pursuit of the American dream and have lost a whole lot in the process.

1 John 2:15-17     Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you.  For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.  And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this post! and yes...WE ARE some of the REALLY weird ones you speak of! LOL Always open to whatever God has planned! It's always far more than we can ask or imagine :)

    Blessings!
    Chris & Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this. Jason said last night, "when we adopt again..." and I almost died laughing. I said...let's get this one home, first:) I love that things seem to be moving so smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! and yes I am with your hubby on his thoughts, but you already know that i am weird ;)

    ReplyDelete