Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Scent of Happiness

It always amazes me how powerful the sense of smell can be.  There have been so many times when I have caught a whiff of something that takes me back to another time.  There is a cologne that John used to wear when we were dating - anytime I smell it, I remember those sweet days of young love.  There is a hand lotion that always makes me think of my Grandma.  When I smell burning leaves outside, I am always transported back to the autumns of my childhood.  The list could go on and on.

This morning while giving Sena a bath, I pulled out some Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercream to use as a leave-in conditioner.  I haven't used it since right after she came home, so I thought I would switch up our hair routine and try it again.  I had no idea how the smell of it would take me back to the first bath we gave her at our guest house last January.  She is a completely different girl than the quiet, shy little one we saw more than ten months ago.  I am floored by how much she has changed since that time. 

Tonight as we were decorating Christmas cookies, the boys commented that Sena's hair smelled good and how it reminded them of her when she first came home.  I swallowed my tears as one of them said, "It is the scent of happiness."  Indeed.  This time last year, we were all just longing to have her home.  This year, we are treasuring the memories we are making as a family of six (soon to be SEVEN!)

We made our annual visit to the Christmas tree farm. 

Sena helped Jack pull the tree.

She was excited about the ornaments.

Happy girl!

Getting a lift from big brother.

It was Isaac's turn to put the star on top this year.

The tree was a bit too tall for the star to sit straight.  Oh well.

After seeing Isaac on Daddy's shoulders, Sena had ideas of her own.  And she refused to get off.

I think I'll give Daddy a kiss.

And maybe I'll massage his scalp while I'm at it...


Silly girl!!

1 comment: