Thursday, December 15, 2011

Little Sister and Dreams

It is starting to sink in that there is going to be a little sister around here.  Today, I found a onesie for Addie on clearance that says, appropriately, "Little Sister."  Of course I had to buy it.  What I didn't expect was that later in the afternoon, the Big Sister would be trying to cram herself into Little Sister's onesie.  It was quite a sight.  This occurred shortly after the same Big Sister tried to put on a 6 month old little boy's sleeper (also found on clearance that will be donated when we go to Ethiopia.  That reminds me - if you have any interest in donating formula, vitamins, or clothing, please email me at jejohns95 at yahoo dot com.  Muchas gracias!) 

It has been exactly one week since our file was submitted to court.  This week, several families whose cases were submitted the week before ours found out they have court dates in mid January.  Of course, the old wheels are turning and I am on pins and needles wondering when we will hear news.  In the meantime, I am doing what I can to get things ready. 

The first item on my to do list involved calling my doctor to request my "medication" for the plane ride.  I had a dream (nightmare, really) that I was about to get on the plane and didn't have my "medication."  I did not want to run the risk of that happening in real life.

Our household already had one dream become a reality this past week and it was a rather unpleasant reality.  Last Tuesday, the boys were horsing around and I told them to knock it off before someone got hurt.  Isaac then told us that he had a dream the night before that he lost his front tooth.  He is 7 and he has already lost both of his front teeth.  Cue freaky music...

Why, oh why, didn't I give more consideration to that dream as I had my own weird dream and force him to wear a helmet around for a while?  Or at least a mouth guard?  But, alas, I didn't.  Three days later, I received a phone call from Isaac's school with the lovely news that he had fallen during recess and broken off "part" of his tooth.  I believe my words to the secretary went something like this, "Oh, crap!"  Not one of my finer moments...  I told her I would come and pick him up. 

I immediately called the dentist, but he had already gone home for the day.  He was kind enough to agree to come back later that afternoon to see what could be done.  When I arrived to pick Isaac up from school, I discovered that over half (I'd say closer to 2/3) of his tooth was gone.  It's pretty much a nub.  Poor kid.  He has been through a fair amount in his 7 years in the way of medical things.  One remarkable thing about him involves his tonsils and adenoids that were removed when he was 3.  Just a few months later, the adenoids were back again and had to be removed - again!  We discovered last winter that they are back AGAIN, but I don't want to put him through another surgery, so he'll just have to be a mouth breather.  I will admit that I have been hoping that his special regenerative abilities with the adenoids would apply to the tooth situation, but so far, we still just have the nub.  Stink.

When we finally saw the dentist Friday afternoon, he commented that Isaac had a high threshhold for pain.  The nerve was exposed in the tooth, but he wasn't complaining of pain.  The dentist sealed it up and sent us to the ENDODONTIST.  That is code for "costs a lot of money and is not someone you want to see when you are in the middle of an adoption! Cha ching!"  We had a consult this morning and figured we'd schedule a root canal and get this show on the road so the boy can get a fake tooth.  But, no.  We have to go back again in a couple of weeks for them to dig around in there and see what kind of tissue is alive or some such thing.  He wants to preserve it if at all possible and the process could take two years to complete.  Awesome!  In the meantime, my sweet boy will walk around with his nub.  Fortunately, he is young enough that it isn't unusual to have missing teeth.  As a real bonus, he is getting some stronger "medication" than his mama gets for her plane ride to help him sit in the chair for an hour and a half whilst the ENDODONTIST digs about in his tooth.  Awesome! 

Finally, I'll leave you with a picture of better days...

3 comments:

  1. So sorry about isaac's tooth:( but sooooo excited to hear about a possible court date sometime I January. Crazy!!!! I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had three dreams before our court trip that I showed up at the airport and didn't have my passport. You better believe I checked, double checked and then triple checked that we had those before leaving the house! lol.

    That's stinks about Isaac's tooth. That really would have been nice if the regenerative abilities had shown up then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry...about the tooth. He better come up with a great story to tell his kids...like when I was 7, I got into a scuffle with a ninja and ...

    Praying for a court date. So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete