Saturday, September 29, 2012

Are they sisters?

When we decided to add to our family again, I knew we would face the inevitable question about whether there was a biological connection between our girls.  Though they really don't look alike at all, people still ask.  My answer?  "Yes they are sisters!"  Because they are and forevermore will be.  Once upon a time, I speculated on whether one could love an adopted child as they would a biological child, but that was before two little ladies waltzed into my world and completely captured my heart. 

Today, the kids and I visited a local park and took some fall pictures.  As we were arriving at the park, an older lady stopped us and asked if they were all my children.  I told her yes and then she asked about the girls. Once again, I told her they were sisters and she said, "That is wonderful!"  I'm sure she assumed a biological connection and that is fine with me.  Perhaps the reaction would have been different if I explained in more detail, but the truth is, I don't have to explain.  Sena is getting old enough to understand things that she wouldn't have even a few months ago, so I want to be mindful of that in talking about adoption with others.  My goal first and foremost is to validate the role of our girls in our family.  Because they are just that: FAMILY!  Though they were not born from my body, they belong here every bit as much as the boys do.

I am so thankful for the strong bond that has developed between the boys and their sisters.  I never imagined how sweet it would be to watch them together.  They play with the girls, kiss and hug them, act silly with them and they really don't care who sees.  They have been an enormous help with them, too, and that has been such a blessing.  While there are aspects of adoption that are certainly difficult and complicated, there is also an inherent beauty for which I am so, so grateful.

My babies



My oldest baby and my youngest baby
 

 


Sena is staring at the statue above.  This park happens to have a lot of "artistic" statues.  Toward the end of our adventure, Sena ran up to me and said, "I'm scared of the naked guys."  Me too, Sweetie, me too!

Lots of room to run!
 

 
Sisters?  Yea, I think so.

1 comment: