Thursday, September 6, 2012

Reality check

On Tuesday, we were in Chicago for an appointment.  While we were in the city, we also wanted to take the opportunity to visit our friends whose son was hit by a car in August.  Jeremiah is currently in a rehabilitation hospital downtown.  I know many of you are already praying for this precious boy - keep them coming as they are seeing progress each day! 

As we drove from one hospital to another, we passed through a neighborhood that reminded us a bit of Addis Ababa.  Certainly, there were no beautiful mountains in the distance, but there were many people clustered in a small area and row after row of storefront shops.  Just as in Ethiopia, life for many in this neighborhood is not easy. 

As we were heading home, I wanted to stop at Garrett's popcorn and John was in need of coffee for the long drive and traffic that were ahead of us.  A Dunkin' Donuts was located just a block from Garrett's, so I purchased some corn and then walked to DD.  About 20 feet from the entrance, I noticed a man sitting on the sidewalk.  I purposely avoided eye contact because I just can't handle that.  Did you read that?  I couldn't handle the suffering this homeless man was obviously experiencing.  As I was waiting for the coffee, I mulled over my options.  I couldn't just pretend that I hadn't seen him or heard him call out to me.  Judging from his very thin build, I knew he had to be hungry, so I purchased a muffin for him.  As I delivered the package, he looked at me and genuinely thanked me.  As we drove away, he waved and smiled.  I never know what is the right thing to do in a situation like that.  I wanted to do something, but as we drove away with our goodies, knowing that a comfortable home was waiting for us on the other end of our journey, a measly blueberry muffin just didn't seem to cut it.  I could have done more, but didn't.  I wonder where that man laid his head that night? 

After we got home and got the girls to bed, I checked Facebook.  I was quickly reminded that we live in America, the land of frivolous spending.  I am always amazed at some of the things that people put on FB.  From my above purchase, you will see that I am also guilty of frivolous spending because my kids and I really didn't need Garrett's popcorn, but some stuff is simply OVER.THE.TOP and I just have to shake my head.  Since we returned from our first trip to Ethiopia, I have wrestled with issues of finances and helping the poor, and where our family fits in all of this.  There have been many times when John and I have just wanted to pack up and head on out of here because the things that are valued in this culture are SO vastly different from those things that are of value to God.  We have witnessed suffering both here at home and overseas.  I  cringe when I hear people talk about the fact that there are hurting people HERE and that all help should remain here at home.  Help should be given here at home, for sure, but it must also be given to those in other places who have found themselves in extremely difficult circumstances.  We certainly have people without homes and food here in the U.S., but we also have PLENTY of folks in this country with so much money that they are throwing it away on silly stuff who could be helping them, too.  In a country like Ethiopia, the majority of the population is extremely poor and they simply do not have the means to help one another.  There are no homeless shelters or soup kitchens able to serve the poor.  There are no food stamps or government subsidies.  I'm not suggesting that we should forsake helping people here at home, but rather find a balance where we are attempting to meet needs wherever we find them. 

1 John 3:17-18
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Jen! There are images from Ethiopia and now many from Swaziland that just pop into my head at the oddest times. Though, these thoughts are certainly sobering. I hope they never go away as I don't want to forget! I want to walk in the awareness that the Lord has allowed me to have.

    ReplyDelete