Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Five

Five months ago today, this happened:



For most people, it was just an ordinary Wednesday, but it was momentous for us because it marked the last day that our daughter would spend without a family.  I am so thankful that we get to play a part in God's plan for Addie's life.  She has come a long way, but now she is just one of us.

With both of our girls, I prayed that there would be a sense of familiarity when we met them and God answered that prayer both times.  While we were waiting for Sena, I wondered if I would love her the same as I did the boys.  Would it take time?  Would it feel different?  I was thrilled to discover that I loved her just the same.  Of course, I had fallen in love with her picture many months before, but it didn't take long for that sweet girl with the big brown eyes to capture my heart completely once she was with us for good.  She was my baby and I would move mountains for her.  It did not matter at all that we do not share the same genes.       

We had been cautioned upon starting our second adoption that the adjustment probably wouldn't go as smoothly as it did with Sena.  The process to bring Sena home was brutal, but once she was here, she settled right in.  She did not exhibit any of the behaviors that I was expecting. Of course, she wasn't perfect by any means, but the behaviors that we dealt with and still deal with seem to be typical toddler stuff - just like what we saw with her brothers.

I was shocked at how much easier the process was the second time around.  When we began, we thought it might take two years before we brought another child home due to the changes in the process.  We had no idea that just seven months later, a new little girl would be joining us.  When we met her last January, Addie showed a clear preference for John.  She would let me hold her, but she was happier with him.  For us, that was a blessing.  We knew that only one of us would be traveling for embassy and since I have plane issues, it would be better for John to travel.  It is pretty common for young children in orphanages to be afraid of their new Daddies because they are used to being cared for by female nannies.  Before we traveled for court, I told John that if Addie was afraid of him, we may need to rethink our plan.  Obviously, that was not an issue:

The little stinker was positively GIDDY about her Daddy!
As the time approached for the embassy trip, I found myself wishing that I could go.  I wanted to be there when our girl left the orphanage, but circumstances prevented that and John went alone.  I thought my heart would break when I dropped him off.  I was pretty much a mess until I saw that his flight had landed safely in Addis.  Through phone calls and emails, he kept me updated on what was happening with him and with our new little lady.  Before I knew it, they were coming through the doors at O'Hare and our family was together. Complete.  And it was good.  So, so good.

Much to my suprise (and our social worker's surprise), Addie followed in her big sister's footsteps and settled in fairly quickly.  She won everyone over with her sweet spirit and I'm pretty sure her cheeks are chafed from all the smooches that she gets each day.  After we got the whole sleep thing figured out, we have been just fine for the most part.  Does that mean things are easy around here?  Absolutely not!  We have chaos like I have never known (and sometimes that gets the better of me).  But, it is the chaos you would expect with three rambunctious boys and two busy girls in the house.  As I told my mom this week, it is not a surprise at all, but it can be overwhelming at times.  And no one really wants to watch five kids so we can have a break...hint, hint...and then she offered to babysit.  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment