I'm sure you can imagine that I have been a *little* anxious this week to get our official referral. I know it will come and I am working very hard on being patient and trying to divert my attention elsewhere. Here's what I've got:
1. When I checked yesterday, our dossier was in Paris, France en route to Addis Ababa. It should arrive there on Monday.
2. I have been trying to figure out the whole vaccine thing. I finally just made an appointment with my doctor to see what he thinks. While I'm at it, I'm going to be requesting medication for the following: altitude sickness, malaria, a broad spectrum antibiotic, possibly something to assist with sleep on the flight, and definitely something to assist with me actually putting myself on a plane for approximately 19 hours. The last time I was on a plane was 1998! My husband and I flew to Phoenix to see my Grandpa who was very sick with cancer. I remember crying as the plane took off (in spite of the fact that I had a Cinnabon in front of me as a distraction) and feeling immensely relieved upon landing. Once in Arizona, I mulled over the possibility of just driving home because I couldn't fathom getting back on a plane. Alas, the thought of driving 2000 miles was enough for me to pull it together, purchase another Cinnabon, and wait for the weeping to begin as the plane took off down the runway. As we approached O'Hare and the ground became visible, I was one happy camper.
When we began our adoption journey, the plan was for me to stay at home (because of the whole flying thing) while John went to pick up our baby. As time has gone on, I have begun to wrap my mind around the fact that it would be in the best interest of our baby if I go, too, and so I have been trying to prepare myself for that as best I can. Before I fell asleep last night, I considered how I'm going to feel getting on a plane for such a long trip. My heart began to race and I decided it probably isn't best to consider such things right before bed.
3. I have started to "nest" a bit. Granted, we're not sure when our sweet girl will be here, but I am feeling a need to get things together. My boys had their nurseries done months before they were actually scheduled to arrive. I can do no less for my girl! The crib bedding should be here in about 10 days. At that point, paint colors will be chosen and the painting done shortly thereafter. This week I found great deals on the following: a black and white polka dotted diaper bag (sooo cute!), a carseat with a completely girly cover in browns and pinks, and a couple of sweet outfits that will hopefully fit. I am saving all the receipts, just in case.
Mary
6 months ago

Our dossier is in the same package with yours! :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Maybe we will be able to go to ET at the same time. I checked out your blog - I think I know which two sweeties are yours from the waiting child list. Precious, precious!! Do you mind if I link your blog to mine?
ReplyDeleteJennifer....my two cents for what it's worth (ha - probably literally two cents!:). Be sure to get Cipro in case of upset tummy - and you don't need malaria meds for Addis. (are you traveling outside of the city?)
ReplyDeleteI'll be praying for you about the flight - you'll be fine. I wasn't real cracked up about the idea either, but just don't overthink it before hand - and watch movies during! You can do it!!
I don't mind. :) Thanks. I wish I could remember your little one's face... but I'll know soon enough. This really is the hardest part of waiting. I didn't understand it until now. Blessings!
ReplyDelete