Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Trust

We received news regarding some changes in the adoption process in Ethiopia today. While the news is somewhat disappointing, I know that God is in control and this is yet another area where I have to just let go and trust Him. Prior to today, adoptive parents were required to make a single trip to Ethiopia. Today we found out that an additional trip is being required. In addition to making the trip to bring a child home, adoptive parents must now appear in court several weeks prior to that. It is unclear at this time whether one or both parents must appear. There are two reasons why this creates an issue for us. First, it adds expense to a process that is already rather pricey. If we are both required to travel for the court appearance, we're looking at airfare in the $4000-5000 range, as well as accomodations, travel, and other misc. expenses while we are in Ethiopia. We've already budgeted for one trip over, but a second trip is really pushing things. Additionally, we have three children at home to consider, as well as John's teaching schedule. He is only given three days of paternity leave and any other time off will be unpaid. I'm just going to be honest and tell you that as I'm writing this, I'm feeling rather nauseous and my stomach is in knots. Here's the good thing: all of this is completely out of my control and none of it is a surprise to God. Here's the hard part for me: TRUST. What other choice do I have? I will continue to lay this burden down at His feet. Again and again and again, I would imagine. Please pray for us and for the many families who are also being affected by this change. I know that nothing is impossible with God and I am praying for a reversal of this policy or a modification to the current process that would combine court dates and embassy dates so that it could all be taken care of in one trip.

Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

2 comments:

  1. God can do this, Jennifer! We just have to keep telling ourselves that He is not surprised and has us covered.....what he calls us to, He will provide for!!
    Love the scripture...
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said, Jennifer! That scripture is our anthem, isn't it? Amen!

    ReplyDelete