On August 10, 2002, a good friend of mine gave birth to a daughter. She had two boys at home already (so did I) and I was thrilled to be able to go out and purchase some sweet little girl dresses for her. There was a particular navy blue dress with white flowers that just melted my heart. I bought one for her and one for me - it was too cute to pass up. I placed it in the back of the closet and never really gave it much thought. Time went on and in August of the following year, I discovered I was pregnant with baby number 3. Of course it was a girl. It had to be. God knew that my heart longed for a daughter and after two rambunctious boys, my dream was finally coming true. This pregnancy felt very different from the others which surely indicated I was carrying a girl. My first sonogram was scheduled for two days before Thanksgiving. Finally, it was time to find out just who had been growing inside of me for the past months. The technician showed us the baby's very obvious "boy parts" and my heart sank. We were quite certain this would be our last baby, so my dreams of having a daughter were over. It took a little time for me to wrap my brain around the idea of being a mama of only boys, but once I got over the initial disappointment, I threw myself full force into preparing for Isaac's arrival. By the time he made his appearance the following spring, I was completely in love. He was such a sweet baby and a wonderful addition to our family. I can't imagine life without him.
The little blue dress continued to hang in the back of the closet. For some reason, I just could not part with it. When my sister had a baby girl in July of 2007, I almost gave it to her, but something still held me back. Time marched on and two years later, we found ourselves beginning the adoption process. We initially came across a picture of a little boy who was a waiting child and I felt drawn to him. I printed his picture, carried it around, and told people we were going to adopt him. As we prayed about it and considered it further, we believed there was a little girl for our family. Isaac, in particular, was sad to say goodbye to "Frank" - the little boy we had seen on the waiting list. As it turns out, friends of ours adopted that sweet boy and we see him almost every week!
On August 10, 2009, a baby girl was born in Gimbie, Ethiopia. That is exactly 7 years to the day that my friend had her daughter and the little blue dresses were purchased. This also happens to be the same friend whose adoption of her daughter and son in 2009 was a catalyst for our adoption. Our eyes were opened through her experience. She has since brought home three more children from Ethiopia!
Today is the day that the little blue dress finally made an appearance on a sweet miracle and dream come true. God is in the details. Without further ado...
| She is a miracle! |
| Hanging out with Ethan |
| Peek a boo! |
| ta da!!!! |

oh how I loved this story. It gave me goosebumps!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE THE LITTLE BLUE DRESS AND THE SWEET BABY WEARING IT!!!!! GLORY TO GOD!
ReplyDeleteI love happy endings. I love that He had a plan for Sena 7 years before she was born. It makes the unfathomable choosing her before the foundations of the earth seem fathomable in our limited understanding. God is SO GOOD!
ReplyDeleteMaybe she can pass that sweet little dress down to her sister. :)
love this post.
ReplyDeletelove the dress.
love that the miracle you longed for is home and wearing that dress. :)