Sunday, August 7, 2011

Special Connection

Yesterday, we had the privilege of celebrating the birthday of Sena's orphanage buddy, Sahara.  Almost two years ago, we met Sahara's parents at our international adoption training.  They were with another agency at the time, but ended up switching to YWAM and we got our referrals within days of each other.  Sara was a huge support to me during our process.  Our court dates were assigned five days apart last October.  As John and I were preparing to land in Frankfurt, Germany, it occurred to me that Marvin and Sara probably had the same layover as we did - only they were heading home.  We found out which gate they would likely be departing from and made a long trek through the airport to find it.  It required going through security two more times (including one pat down for me - JOY!), but we finally found the gate.  Only there was no Marvin and Sara.  We looked around a bit and found a guy sleeping that looked like Marvin, but I didn't want to wake him up in case it wasn't!  I decided to check the women's bathroom and I found Sara.  It was so fun to catch up with them and hear all about their trip and learn a little about what we were about to experience.

After we returned home from court, there were frequent phone calls as we waited  for embassy clearance.  We rejoiced when we received word that our cases had been submitted and cried when we found out that we weren't cleared.  Finally, after not hearing anything from the Embassy, we made the decision to travel and hope for the best.  We met up at the crack of dawn at O'Hare airport on January 15th and the rest is history!

Ready to get our girls!!

We've come a long way from John and Marvin in the little blue taxi...


...to chillin' on the patio!


Our traveling crew - including Shelly, Tomas, and Ellie and Kameron and Sarah.  We wish they lived closer!


Sahara and Sena having fun on the trampoline

How about a hug?

You got it!

Sahara is pulling a heavy load (with a little bit of help)

Puckering up for a smooch

Hugs!

This is the second time we have been able to get together with the Streitmatters since we have been home.  When I see Sahara, it just makes my heart happy.  She, like Sena, was one of the first children in the Gimbie orphanage and I looked at her sweet face next to Sena's all those weeks on the WC list.  She will always have a special place in my heart and I am so thankful that she is with such a special family. 

1 comment: