Last week, I was just feeling discouraged. I had been hoping that something would move in our case, but that just didn't seem to be happening. I had also been worried about finances knowing that our first trip to Ethiopia would be coming soon. We had applied for a couple of grants, but hadn't heard anything yet. One of them was supposed to notify us by January 15 of their decision. When January 15 rolled around and we didn't hear anything, I just assumed it meant that we would not be receiving a grant. On Tuesday, I went to the mailbox and found an envelope from that organization. I took a deep breath and prepared to read the rejection letter. You can imagine my surprise when I read, "We are pleased to inform you that you have been awarded an adoption assistance grant..." After I stopped shaking, I immediately gave thanks to God for his provision. I didn't know then just how soon we would be needing it!
That same day, we were notified that the judge in Ethiopia would be reviewing our file on Thursday and could possibly set our court date at that time. Yesterday, I was in a bit of a funk as I tried not to get my hopes up. This morning, I checked email at the crack of dawn and there was nothing. I emailed our case manager just to let her know that I was going crazy (as if she didn't know that already) and my cell phone rang just a minute later. I knew it was her and I knew she would only call with good news!! Hallelujah! Then she told me I was going to be really busy because we need to leave for Ethiopia NEXT WEEK!! Wow - I was not expecting that. As if that wasn't enough, we will get to meet our daughter ON HER FIRST BIRTHDAY!! My heart is full and I am thankful that God is in the details. He has blown me away with His faithfulness.
Psalm 36:5 Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.
Isaiah 25:1 Lord, you are my God; I will exalt and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago.
Mary
8 months ago

God is SO good! I didn't put two and two together that you would make it for her birthday when you gave your court date! God hears our prayers and answers them even when it seems all hope is lost! Such a great reminder that God cares about even the little things that are important to us! So excited for you!
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize you would be there for her 1st birthday! I know how important that was for you, even though you thought it was an impossible, far fetched dream! For some reason I thought her bday was mid month. OH MY GOSH!!! How GOOD is He to us Jen! Seriously! I am praising Him with you today for this incredible gift. He loves you/us so much. What a good, good Father! YAY!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove love love this story:)
ReplyDeleteI think God takes pleasure in surprising us. I love to watch Him do it, too.
ReplyDeleteLove when we get to see Him so clearly! So happy for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm just finally getting around to finding blogs of other CHI families. Congrats on getting your court date so soon! We got ours on Tuesday, but it isn't until Feb. 29.
ReplyDeleteWe are adopting a little 4 year old who is at the Thomas Center.
Blessings to you as you travel!
oops-we got our court date on Thursday, not Tues.
ReplyDelete