As it turns out, there is much to do to prepare for a trip overseas. I'm assuming we'll be heading in that direction in the next few months, but we obviously don't have a court date yet. I happen to be a planner and I like to get a jump start on things (remember the baby room that has been all ready to go since April?) The furthest I have ever ventured from home was to Tampico, Mexico back in 1992 for a short term mission trip. We traveled by bus, so the whole flight thing was not an issue. It was a VERY long bus ride, too! I have been trying to assemble a list of items that I think we might need for the trip and I have been picking the brains of several who have already traveled to Ethiopia. Thank you for sharing!
We are also trying to get our immunizations figured out. We have had polio and meningitis vaccines and both of our tetanus shots are up to date. We are planning to get Hepatitis A (if anyone has a reason why we need B also, please share...) We are debating yellow fever and typhoid and leaning toward getting both. I am a little creeped out by the yellow fever vaccine and the possibility of:
*Life-threatening allergic reaction (approximately 1 reported per 131,000 doses).
*Severe nervous system reactions (approximately 1 reported per 150,000 to 250,000 doses).
*Life-threatening severe illness with major organ system failure (approximately 1 reported per 200,000 to 300,000 doses, or 1 reported per 40,000 to 50,000 doses in people 60 years of age and older). More than half of the people who suffer these side effects die.
I am also a little creeped out by the possibility of actually getting yellow fever, too. We need a plan by Tuesday when we are visiting the travel clinic again. Good times.
New pictures of baby S arrived on Friday afternoon. She is PRECIOUS! It was so neat to see her looking at the little photo book and wearing the dress we sent to her. The boys were so happy to see the new pictures. They are just as excited as we are to welcome this little one into our family. We are starting to prepare our house for a little one, too. Isaac and I sorted toys yesterday and moved all the small pieces up to his bedroom. Our family room is officially safe for a baby!
Mary
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment