This morning I sat in baby S's room and prayed. For her safety, her health, her heart, and her eventual arrival into our home. It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of adding a new member to our family and all the preparation that entails. Isaac, in particular, is really struggling with why it is taking so long. He talks about her a lot. The other day I heard him whispering, "oh, you're so cute, you're so cute" in the hallway. I couldn't figure out who he was talking about. Then he told me that he was looking at the picture of baby S on our desktop! Sometimes he and I sit in her room in the rocking chair and he talks about the things he wants to do with her - right now taking her to our town's new pool is at the top of his list. He also likes to play with the toys we have ready for her. We bought a baby doll for her birthday which is just over a month away. It is so cute!! It is a Baby Alive and if you move the bottle toward her mouth, she makes drinking noises and then giggles. He thinks it is quite hilarious. Dolls are a completely new thing around here. The boys attended their annual Cubs game last Friday. Here is what they were giving away that day:
A Cubbies doll outfit!!
As excited as I am - as we all are- about baby S's arrival, I am also starting to think about what it is really going to look like around here once she is home. We know that she has been very well cared for in the orphanages and I am so thankful for that. It is hard to know how things are going to go in the attachment and bonding department once she is home. Those things were just natural with our boys - we held them and fed them and loved them and they thrived. It is a bit trickier, however, with a child who has lost her first family. There are often grief and trust issues. I have been learning about things we can do to facilitate attachment. I am also praying that God will just bind our hearts together and that He will give us wisdom in knowing how to best love this girl. She is, after all, His child and He knows all about her. One of my favorite passages from Psalms:
Psalm 139:13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. 17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
I think this Psalm beautifully describes the depth of His care for His children. He loves us - each and every one of us - more than we could ever begin to comprehend.
Mary
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment