Friday, July 2, 2010

This Is a Soul

I just finished reading This Is a Soul: The Mission of Rick Hodes by Marilyn Berger.  I highly recommend it.  Dr. Hodes practices at Mother Teresa's Clinic in Addis Ababa and "tries to limit himself to hearts, spines, and cancers," but he will try to help anyone who comes his way.  Particularly, he treats scoliosis and tuberculosis of the spine - both disfiguring - and the latter can lead to a horrible, suffocating death if not treated.  I am amazed at how this doctor gives of himself, not only for his patients, but also for the children that he has welcomed into his home and cared for.  Some have been adopted, some receive medical care, and some just need a safe place to stay.  As I learn about some of the issues that people around the world must contend with, I am embarrassed by the luxury in which I live.  It is hard to learn about:

podoconiosis:  http://www.tropicalmedandhygienejrnl.net/article/S0035-9203(07)00284-2/abstract

obstetric fistulas:  http://www.fistulafoundation.org/aboutfistula/faqs.html

Both of these conditions often lead to individuals being ostracized by their families and communities, not to mention the physical hardship they cause.  These conditions are not typically found in our country, but they do exist in Ethiopia, as well as other countries in Africa and Asia in great numbers.  The quality of life for those with such conditions is terrible and it breaks my heart to even think about the suffering they endure.  The good news is that both conditions are treatable, but because of the extreme poverty in these countries, many continue to suffer and have no hope for their future.  I am reminded of Luke 12:48 ...From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.  Sometimes I question why I was born in a country of such plenty.  I'm certain it is not God's plan for my family to spend all of our resources on ourselves.  Rather, we are called to help the less fortunate.  At the end of my days, I don't want to stand before God and give account of my life and tell Him about the things I wasted money on while His children all around the world suffered and starved and died. 

No comments:

Post a Comment